Chamarajanagar poacher killings: Karnataka BJP demands judicial probe, ₹1 cr compensation
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday, 18 August demanded a full judicial enquiry into the killing of three alleged poachers by Karnataka Forest Department officials in the Chamarajanagar reserve forest, calling the magisterial probe ordered by the state government insufficient. The party also pressed for ₹1 crore compensation for each of the three deceased families and a government job for one member of each family on humanitarian grounds.
What BJP Demanded
BJP State President and MLA B.Y. Vijayendra, speaking to reporters in Bengaluru, said the state government must not confine the investigation to a magisterial enquiry given the serious questions surrounding the Forest Department's conduct. 'Since several doubts have been raised about the incident, the government should conduct a judicial enquiry instead of limiting it to a magisterial enquiry and bring out the truth before the people of the state,' he said.
Vijayendra added that the BJP and the Janata Dal (Secular) (JD(S)) had been pressing for compensation and jobs for the affected families since the start of the ongoing Assembly session.
Questions Over the Encounter
Vijayendra questioned the circumstances that led to the firing, arguing that an allegation of poaching alone cannot justify lethal force. 'If they had gone hunting, let an investigation establish the truth. But can people be killed in an encounter merely because there is an allegation that they had gone hunting?' he asked.
He further demanded a probe into whether forest officials had exhausted other lawful means before opening fire, and whether they had acted within the bounds of the law or committed lapses in the discharge of their duties. 'If the guilty are officials or anyone else, action must be taken according to law,' he said.
Vijayendra also clarified that accountability must be fixed irrespective of political considerations, while asserting that the current government cannot deflect responsibility by citing incidents under previous administrations.
What the Government Said
On Monday, Forest and Ecology Minister Ramalinga Reddy told the Legislative Assembly that forest officials received intelligence at around 8 pm on 14 August about armed poachers entering the Shagya jurisdiction of the Hanur Sub-Division of the Cauvery Wildlife Reserve. Two search teams were dispatched.
According to Reddy, forest personnel encountered the poachers hiding behind boulders in the Karadikallu area, who opened fire first. The poachers were positioned at a higher elevation and continued firing, after which the forest staff returned fire under their authorised powers. Around 10 forest personnel were treated for injuries following the operation.
A case has been registered in connection with the incident. During the operation, forest personnel reportedly recovered approximately 34.5 kg of suspected wildlife meat. The poachers had not obtained permission to enter the reserve forest, the minister said.
Broader Context
The incident has reignited a long-running debate in Karnataka over the use of force by forest officials in wildlife reserves. Critics argue that encounter killings in forest areas often escape adequate scrutiny, particularly when victims are from marginalised communities. This case has drawn added political attention given that it occurred during the ongoing Assembly session, making it a flashpoint between the ruling party and the opposition.
What Happens Next
The state government has so far maintained that the magisterial enquiry is appropriate, but opposition pressure — now formalised by the BJP's public demands — is likely to intensify in the coming Assembly sessions. The families of the three deceased are yet to receive any announced relief. Whether the government upgrades the probe to a judicial enquiry will be a key test of its accountability posture in the weeks ahead.