Meerut SSP accused of third-degree torture by BKU leader; police deny allegations
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Digvijay Bhatti, president of the Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) B.R. Ambedkar faction, on Friday, 21 August levelled serious allegations of third-degree torture against outgoing Meerut Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Avinash Pandey, claiming he was detained and beaten inside the police office. The Meerut Police has strongly denied all the allegations.
What Bhatti Alleged
Bhatti claimed that he and an associate, Mohit, visited the SSP to plead innocence in connection with an First Information Report (FIR) filed after a July 8 protest over the Lalita Gautam murder case. He alleged that instead of being heard, the two were taken into a cabin and assaulted by three or four personnel.
'Later, Mohit was speaking to Kaptaan Sahab, saying, 'Sir, we are completely innocent in this matter.' Then they took us into a cabin. There is a side cabin with sofas there. After taking us inside, they hit us with elbows and beat us mercilessly. There were three or four of them,' Bhatti alleged.
Bhatti further alleged that a kick from SSP Pandey struck him directly in the eye during the incident. 'As I was falling at the SSP's feet, he kicked me. That kick struck me directly in my eye. The doctors are now saying that only 30 per cent of my eyesight can be treated,' he said. A video purportedly showing Bhatti with a swollen left eye and bruises circulated widely on social media, amplifying public attention on the matter.
Background: The Lalita Gautam Case
The allegations are rooted in the police response to protests over the murder of college student Lalita Gautam, whose body was found on 15 May in a field in Meerut's Rohta area. Public outrage intensified on 8 July when demonstrators blocked the Meerut Collectorate gate for nearly three hours, demanding the immediate arrest of the main accused, identified as Ankit.
The protest subsequently turned violent after police, led by SSP Pandey, resorted to a baton charge. Authorities subsequently booked 63 protesters — 13 named and 50 unidentified — under multiple provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), including Section 109, which pertains to attempt to murder. Bhatti was among those named as accused.
Bhatti maintained that he was not present at the protest, having been in Noida-Ghaziabad at the time. 'When the protest took place regarding the Lalita Gautam case, we were not present at that protest; we were in Noida-Ghaziabad. Despite that, we were sent to jail,' he said.
The Police Version
The Meerut Police, in an official statement posted on X, flatly denied the torture allegations. According to police, Digvijay Singh Bhatti and Mohit Jatav are registered history-sheeters at their respective police stations, with multiple cases already on record against them.
The police stated that on 19 August 2026, the two men came to the Civil Lines police station to discuss matters relating to pending cases. While returning home, they allegedly sustained injuries after their scooter skidded. The police added that Bhatti and Jatav themselves submitted a written application at the Civil Lines police station regarding the incident, which was recorded in General Diary Entry No. 53 at 5:31 pm.
What Happens Next
The conflicting accounts — one alleging custodial brutality, the other attributing injuries to a road accident — leave the matter unresolved pending any independent inquiry. Bhatti's claims, if substantiated, could carry serious legal and institutional consequences for the outgoing SSP. As of Friday, no formal probe had been announced by senior state authorities.