JPSC-JSSC exam scam protest: 4th round of talks today as hunger strikers weaken

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
JPSC-JSSC exam scam protest: 4th round of talks today as hunger strikers weaken

Synopsis

Four hunger strikers are weakening, three rounds of talks have collapsed, and students are threatening to besiege the Chief Minister's residence on 20 August — the JPSC-JSSC exam scam protest in Ranchi is approaching a flashpoint as a make-or-break fourth round of dialogue gets under way.

Key Takeaways

The JPSC-JSSC exam irregularities protest in Ranchi entered its 24th day on 17 August .
A fourth round of government-student talks is scheduled for Monday; three previous rounds yielded no resolution.
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto is on his 15th day of hunger strike; Prem Nayak on his 14th day .
Two hunger strikers have been hospitalised, including Rahul Kranti , admitted to Sadar Hospital .
Demands include a CBI investigation , cancellation of JPSC exams 11–13 and the CGL exam , and a probe into all exams since 2019 .
Students have threatened a siege of the Chief Minister's residence on 20 August if demands are unmet.

The student agitation in Ranchi against recruitment irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) entered its 24th day on Monday, 17 August, with a critical fourth round of talks between government representatives and protest leaders scheduled for the day. Three previous rounds of dialogue have failed to produce any resolution.

Ground Situation at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium

Thousands of students continued their indefinite sit-in at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi, pressing demands for strict action against examination irregularities, a CBI investigation, cancellation of the JPSC examinations numbered 11 to 13, cancellation of the CGL examination, and a probe into all examinations conducted since 2019. Agitators have also announced a siege of the Chief Minister's residence on 20 August if their demands remain unmet.

Four hunger strikers have been fasting for 12 to 13 days. Two have been hospitalised; the other two remain at the protest site. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, on the 15th day of his hunger strike, said the movement has drawn support from across Jharkhand and the country.

What the Student Leaders Said

Mahto articulated the core demand in measured terms: 'The students work very hard; they should not have to face paper leaks, they should not have to face cheating, and they should not have to face selling of jobs. There should be such a system, such reforms, and the government should give a guarantee that there will never be a paper leak in the future. I hope there is agreement on all these points, because I have seen many times in my life cancellations, and many times I have seen CID investigations; however, nothing substantial came out of it. We need reforms; a complete transformation of the education system.'

Hunger striker Prem Nayak, on his 14th day without food, described the physical toll: 'Our health is steadily deteriorating; we are unable to sit, walk, or sleep... It does not seem likely that we will be able to hold out for much longer.' Nayak warned that while the protest had so far remained Gandhian in character, students could turn aggressive if demands are not addressed, adding: 'The government cannot be greater than the people.'

Student leader Ravindra Paswan said the invitation for the fourth round of talks came through the CDO and that agitators were attending with firm expectations: 'We have high hopes for today's meeting; all our demands should be met. We remain firm on our demands. We will continue our agitation until our demands are fulfilled... our demands remain non-negotiable; we will not compromise on them.'

Hospitalised Striker Targets Hemant Soren Government

Rahul Kranti, admitted to Sadar Hospital after his condition worsened, directed sharp criticism at the Hemant Soren government. He alleged that due to the government's 'incompetence', students in Jharkhand were suffering. Kranti said corruption had been found in examinations conducted under both the Hemant-1 and Hemant-2 governments, and that the students' demands specifically include a CBI probe and cancellation of the CGL examination alongside the JPSC papers.

What Comes Next

The outcome of Monday's fourth round of talks will determine whether the agitation escalates or de-escalates. With hunger strikers' health deteriorating and a planned siege of the Chief Minister's residence set for 20 August, the pressure on the Soren administration is intensifying. Officials have not yet made any public commitment on the students' core demands.

Point of View

At their core, about basic exam integrity. That it has not produced even a framework commitment suggests either internal disagreement on how far to concede, or a calculated bet that the movement will exhaust itself. Both are risky: the planned siege of the CM's residence on 20 August could rapidly shift the optics from student grievance to law-and-order crisis, a frame the government can ill afford. The deeper issue — that corruption allegations span both Hemant-1 and Hemant-2 tenures — makes any partial concession politically complicated and any full concession politically damaging.
NationPress
17 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the JPSC-JSSC exam scam protest in Ranchi about?
Students are agitating against alleged irregularities — including paper leaks, cheating, and job-selling — in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC). The protest, now in its 24th day, is centred at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi.
What are the students' key demands?
The students are demanding a CBI investigation into exam irregularities, cancellation of JPSC examinations numbered 11 to 13, cancellation of the CGL examination, and a probe into all examinations conducted since 2019. They are also seeking systemic reforms and a government guarantee against future paper leaks.
How many rounds of talks have been held, and what was the outcome?
Three rounds of talks between government representatives and protesting students have been held, all without resolution. A fourth round was scheduled for Monday, 17 August, and student leaders say their demands are non-negotiable.
What is the health condition of the hunger strikers?
Four students have been on hunger strike for 12 to 13 days. Two, including Rahul Kranti, have been hospitalised. Prem Nayak, on his 14th day of fasting, said strikers are unable to sit, walk, or sleep and may not be able to hold out much longer.
What happens if the talks fail again?
Students have announced a siege of Chief Minister Hemant Soren's residence on 20 August if their demands are not met. Leaders have also warned that the protest, so far Gandhian in character, could turn more aggressive if the government does not act.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 2 days ago
  2. 5 days ago
  3. 6 days ago
  4. 1 week ago
  5. 1 week ago
  6. 1 week ago
  7. 1 week ago
  8. 2 weeks ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google