La Liga 2026-27: Julian Alvarez out of Atletico Madrid's opener vs Malaga

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
La Liga 2026-27: Julian Alvarez out of Atletico Madrid's opener vs Malaga

Synopsis

Atletico Madrid open their La Liga 2026-27 campaign against Malaga without their self-declared best attacking player — Julian Alvarez, who wants out and has Barcelona waiting. Simeone is threading a needle: managing a transfer saga while easing Alvarez back to fitness ahead of Sunday's Villarreal clash. Three new signings debut; the Alvarez subplot could define Atletico's entire season.

Key Takeaways

Julian Alvarez will not play in Atletico Madrid's La Liga 2026-27 opener against Malaga on Wednesday, 19 August .
Manager Diego Simeone cited insufficient fitness after the World Cup , targeting Alvarez's return for the Villarreal match on Sunday.
Summer signings Lee Kang-in , Alex Grimaldo , and Morten Hjulmand are set to make their competitive debuts.
Cuti Romero , signed from Tottenham Hotspur last week, may also be unavailable for the opener.
FC Barcelona are reportedly interested in signing Alvarez, who has publicly stated his desire to leave the club.
Atletico Madrid maintain that the 26-year-old is not for sale.

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone confirmed on Tuesday, 18 August that striker Julian Alvarez will not feature in the club's La Liga 2026-27 season opener against Malaga on Wednesday night, citing insufficient match fitness following the World Cup. The home fixture at the Metropolitano was rescheduled from the weekend to give the club's World Cup participants additional recovery time.

New Signings Set for Debuts

The match is expected to hand first competitive appearances to three summer arrivals: South Korean winger Lee Kang-in, Spain international full-back Alex Grimaldo, and Danish midfielder Morten Hjulmand. However, centre-back Cuti Romero, who completed his move from Tottenham Hotspur only last week, may not be ready in time to feature.

Simeone's Stance on Alvarez

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Simeone explained why Alvarez was being held back. 'He needs a little more training to be in top form for Sunday,' the coach said, referring to Atletico's next fixture against Villarreal. 'From a sporting perspective, we need more training sessions with him,' he added.

Simeone described Alvarez as the squad's 'best attacking player' and stressed the importance of building the team around him. 'We need to build a team around him, considering his potential, talent, experience, and what he's given the team during his time here,' he said.

The Transfer Saga Backdrop

Alvarez's absence comes against a charged backdrop. The 26-year-old Argentine has publicly expressed a desire to leave Atletico Madrid, with FC Barcelona reportedly keen on securing his signature. He was also absent from Atletico's final pre-season warm-up in Marseille for the same fitness reasons. Despite the transfer noise, Simeone and the club have maintained that Alvarez is not for sale.

'From a sporting perspective, we want to take care of the person, the player, so that he continues to uphold his reputation. We don't think he's ready to play in this match, but in four more days we hope to get closer to our goal,' Simeone concluded.

What to Watch Next

All eyes will be on whether Alvarez features when Atletico travel to face Villarreal on Sunday. His inclusion — or continued absence — will signal whether the club-player standoff is beginning to affect team selection beyond fitness considerations. Barcelona's pursuit, if it intensifies, could make this one of the defining transfer stories of the 2026 summer window's closing weeks.

Point of View

Which is that Atletico's best attacking player wants to leave and Barcelona are circling. The club's insistence that Alvarez is not for sale is standard negotiating posture, but every week this drags on is a week of distraction in a dressing room that has just added three new faces. The real test comes Sunday against Villarreal: if Alvarez plays and performs, Atletico can argue the saga is contained. If he doesn't, the narrative will write itself.
NationPress
19 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is Julian Alvarez not playing in Atletico Madrid's La Liga opener?
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone confirmed Alvarez lacks sufficient match fitness following the World Cup and needs more training sessions before being ready. Simeone is targeting the striker's return for Sunday's match against Villarreal.
Which Atletico Madrid players are set to debut against Malaga?
Summer signings Lee Kang-in, Alex Grimaldo, and Morten Hjulmand are all expected to make their competitive debuts in the Malaga fixture. New arrival Cuti Romero, who joined from Tottenham Hotspur last week, may not be fit in time.
Is Julian Alvarez leaving Atletico Madrid?
Alvarez has publicly stated his desire to leave the club, and FC Barcelona are reportedly interested in signing him. However, Atletico Madrid's official position remains that the 26-year-old striker is not for sale.
When does Atletico Madrid play next after the Malaga game?
Atletico Madrid's next La Liga fixture is against Villarreal on Sunday. Simeone has indicated he hopes Alvarez will be available for that match after completing additional training sessions.
Why was the Atletico Madrid vs Malaga match rescheduled?
The game was moved from the weekend to Wednesday evening to give Atletico's World Cup participants extra time to recover from the summer tournament before the new La Liga season began.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 5 days ago
  2. 1 week ago
  3. 1 month ago
  4. 5 months ago
  5. 10 months ago
  6. 10 months ago
  7. 1 year ago
  8. 1 year ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google