Badminton WC: Ayush Shetty exits R16, eyes Asian Games after Farhan loss
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Ayush Shetty's standout run at the BWF World Championships 2025 in New Delhi came to an end on Thursday, 20 August, as the young Indian shuttler fell to Indonesia's Alwi Farhan in the round of 16, going down 21–19, 21–11 in a 45-minute contest at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium. The defeat ends what had been a remarkable campaign for the 21-year-old, who had stunned World No. 1 and reigning champion Shi Yuqi in the opening round.
How the Match Unfolded
Shetty was competitive in the first game, clawing back to stay in contention before narrowly losing 21–19. The second game, however, belonged firmly to Farhan. The Indonesian moved with greater confidence, tightened his net play, and deployed a persistent body-line attack that left Shetty with little room to manoeuvre. The Indian conceded the second game 21–11 as unforced errors began to mount.
'I think I had my chance in the first game. I came back well. But yeah, again, I couldn't convert it,' Shetty told reporters after the match. He acknowledged that Farhan's sharpness near the net proved decisive: 'In the second game, I think he was playing with more confidence. He had his shots really sharp. And also, I think when I had my chances, I was not getting the lines. That made the difference.'
Shetty's Own Assessment
The Asia Championships 2026 runner-up was candid about his performance, admitting he was 'not really sharp today.' On Farhan's body-line strategy, Shetty said his camp had been prepared for it but could not execute their plan as the match progressed. 'It's just that the momentum of the game. In the second game, he was just playing with more confidence. I think he definitely was putting more pressure near the net,' he said.
Shetty also praised Farhan's all-round game: 'He's really quick. He has a lot of variation from the back — maybe one of the best variations right now in men's singles. That's what makes him really good.'
The Farhan Rivalry
The result extends Farhan's head-to-head advantage over Shetty to 5–3. Their rivalry stretches back to the Junior World Championships in 2023, where Farhan defeated Shetty in the semifinal on his way to the gold medal, with Shetty settling for silver. Thursday's loss reinforces a pattern: while Shetty has shown the ability to topple top seeds, Farhan remains a recurring stumbling block.
Focus Shifts to Asian Games
With the World Championships concluded — held in New Delhi for the first time in 17 years, after Hyderabad last hosted the event — Shetty is now directing his energy toward the Asian Games in Aichi-Nagoya, scheduled from 19 September onwards. 'We were preparing for both (Worlds and Asiad). A bit of tactical changes to be done; a lot to learn from this match, definitely. Just forget about this match for now and focus on the Asian Games,' he said.
With the experience of upsetting a world champion already in his pocket, Shetty heads to Aichi-Nagoya as one of India's more intriguing prospects in men's singles badminton.