La Liga 2026-27: Julian Alvarez out of Atletico Madrid's opener vs Malaga
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone confirmed on Tuesday, 18 August that striker Julian Alvarez will not feature in the club's La Liga 2026-27 season opener against Malaga on Wednesday night, citing insufficient match fitness following the World Cup. The home fixture at the Metropolitano was rescheduled from the weekend to give the club's World Cup participants additional recovery time.
New Signings Set for Debuts
The match is expected to hand first competitive appearances to three summer arrivals: South Korean winger Lee Kang-in, Spain international full-back Alex Grimaldo, and Danish midfielder Morten Hjulmand. However, centre-back Cuti Romero, who completed his move from Tottenham Hotspur only last week, may not be ready in time to feature.
Simeone's Stance on Alvarez
Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Simeone explained why Alvarez was being held back. 'He needs a little more training to be in top form for Sunday,' the coach said, referring to Atletico's next fixture against Villarreal. 'From a sporting perspective, we need more training sessions with him,' he added.
Simeone described Alvarez as the squad's 'best attacking player' and stressed the importance of building the team around him. 'We need to build a team around him, considering his potential, talent, experience, and what he's given the team during his time here,' he said.
The Transfer Saga Backdrop
Alvarez's absence comes against a charged backdrop. The 26-year-old Argentine has publicly expressed a desire to leave Atletico Madrid, with FC Barcelona reportedly keen on securing his signature. He was also absent from Atletico's final pre-season warm-up in Marseille for the same fitness reasons. Despite the transfer noise, Simeone and the club have maintained that Alvarez is not for sale.
'From a sporting perspective, we want to take care of the person, the player, so that he continues to uphold his reputation. We don't think he's ready to play in this match, but in four more days we hope to get closer to our goal,' Simeone concluded.
What to Watch Next
All eyes will be on whether Alvarez features when Atletico travel to face Villarreal on Sunday. His inclusion — or continued absence — will signal whether the club-player standoff is beginning to affect team selection beyond fitness considerations. Barcelona's pursuit, if it intensifies, could make this one of the defining transfer stories of the 2026 summer window's closing weeks.