Ricky Ponting demands Australia Test changes after 'embarrassing' Bangladesh loss
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting has called for immediate changes to the Australian Test batting lineup following a stunning nine-wicket defeat to Bangladesh in Darwin on Sunday — a result that has sent shockwaves through Australian cricket. The loss, inflicted on home soil with Australia fielding a full-strength side, is being widely described as one of the most humiliating results in the team's recent Test history.
Ponting's Call for Regeneration
Speaking to Channel 7, Ponting was unequivocal in his assessment. 'This ends up being a very embarrassing defeat. I think it's inevitable they have to make a change. I was on the record at the end of last summer thinking that this was the ideal time to start to regenerate this team because of the performances from some of the players,' he said.
Ponting, who is typically reluctant to advocate for personnel changes, acknowledged the gravity of the situation. 'Look, I'm the last one I want to make change. As a captain or as a player, I wanted to keep the group together. It has to get to a bad point before I start saying you ought to leave somebody out. But there had been enough evidence for me coming here to suggest that they weren't going to lose anything or much at all by starting that regeneration, by maybe bringing in another opener, by maybe bringing in someone at No.3. I think that that has to happen,' he added. The former skipper's remarks signal that patience with the current batting group has worn thin even among its most loyal defenders.
Copeland: Result 'Completely Unacceptable'
Former Australia bowler Trent Copeland, speaking to SEN, was equally scathing. 'This is a completely unacceptable Test match result for Australia. When you are in your own conditions, I don't care about the preparation, I don't care who's playing for Australia even. You cannot lose to Bangladesh in Australia in a Test match,' he said.
Copeland acknowledged the players' distress while holding firm on accountability. 'I'm hesitant to go all in on it, but this is an embarrassing loss and one that's unacceptable, and the people who will know that most are the 11 blokes who've taken the field, and Andrew McDonald and the coaching group,' he added. The remarks place the coaching staff squarely under scrutiny alongside the playing XI.
How Bangladesh Pulled Off a Historic Win
Bangladesh dominated proceedings for virtually the entire match. Fast bowler Hasan Mahmud claimed a six-wicket haul to bowl Australia out for just 198 in the first innings after the hosts elected to bat. In reply, Tanzid Hasan Tamim became the first Bangladeshi batter to score a Test century in Australia, contributing 101, while Mehidy Hasan Miraz added 65 as Bangladesh posted a commanding 426 — a lead of 228 runs.
Australia showed more resolve in the second innings, with Cameron Green smashing 104, but the lower order offered little resistance. They were bowled out for 284, with Mehidy Hasan claiming a second-innings fifer early on Day 4. Set a target of just 57, Bangladesh reached it with nine wickets to spare. Tanzid Hasan fell for the only wicket, while Shadman Islam and Mominul Haque remained unbeaten to seal a historic victory.
What Comes Next for Australian Cricket
The defeat intensifies pressure on selectors ahead of upcoming Test commitments. Australia's batting order — particularly the top three — will face intense scrutiny, with calls for younger talent growing louder. This is the first time Bangladesh have beaten Australia in a Test match on Australian soil, marking a watershed moment in the bilateral rivalry. Whether head coach Andrew McDonald and the national selection panel act swiftly on Ponting's advice will define the immediate direction of the side.