MV Ocean-Winner sinks off Odisha: 2 rescued, 22 crew missing in Bay of Bengal

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
MV Ocean-Winner sinks off Odisha: 2 rescued, 22 crew missing in Bay of Bengal

Synopsis

A Panama-flagged cargo ship carrying 24 crew sank in the Bay of Bengal, 240 nautical miles off Odisha, after departing Paradip Port with 1,700 tonnes of iron ore. Only two survivors have been pulled from liferafts so far — 22 remain missing. India's Navy, Coast Guard, and a diverted merchant tanker are racing against time in one of the most significant maritime rescue operations in the region this year.

Key Takeaways

MV Ocean-Winner , a Panama-flagged cargo vessel, sank in the Bay of Bengal on 22 August , approximately 240 nautical miles off the Odisha coast .
The ship had 24 crew members — 20 Chinese , 3 Myanmar , 1 Bangladeshi nationals — and was carrying 1,700 tonnes of iron ore from Paradip Port to Singapore .
Two survivors were rescued from liferafts by merchant tanker MT AISOPOS by late evening on 22 August ; 22 crew members remain missing.
A Navy P8I aircraft located the liferafts; ICGS Varad , ICGS Anmol , and ICGS Vijit are deployed in the search zone.
The cause of the sinking is under investigation; the distress alert was raised by operator Victory Star Group Co.
Ltd at 11:48 a.m. on 22 August .

Two crew members of the Panama-flagged cargo vessel MV Ocean-Winner have been rescued after the ship sank in the Bay of Bengal, approximately 240 nautical miles off the Odisha coast, the Indian Navy confirmed on Sunday, 23 August. A large-scale search-and-rescue operation is underway to locate the remaining 22 crew members, who are still missing.

How the Ship Went Down

MV Ocean-Winner departed Paradip Port at approximately 10:30 p.m. on 20 August, carrying around 1,700 tonnes of iron ore bound for Singapore. The vessel had 24 crew members on board — 20 Chinese nationals, three from Myanmar, and one from Bangladesh. The ship sank on 22 August, and the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) at Sri Vijaya Puram received a distress alert at 11:48 a.m. that day after contact with the vessel was lost. The vessel's last known position was reported near 317 East Island Light, roughly 310 nautical miles away. The exact cause of the sinking remains under investigation.

Key Developments in the Rescue Operation

The distress alert was relayed by Victory Star Group Co. Ltd, the company operating the ship. In response, the MRCC activated the Indian Search and Rescue (ISN) network. A Navy P8I surveillance aircraft, operating approximately 700 km east of Visakhapatnam, was rapidly redeployed for search-and-rescue duties. The aircraft located a geographically dispersed liferaft in the area.

The Eastern Naval Command said in a statement on X: 'On 22 Aug 26, responding to the distress alert received in respect of MV OCEAN WINNER, approximately 700 km east of Visakhapatnam, Indian Navy aircraft P8I on surveillance sortie was rapidly re-deployed for Search & Rescue mission in coordination with MRCC at Sri Vijay Puram.' It added that the aircraft 'coordinated with MT AISOPOS, which was transiting nearby, with a request for the merchant vessel to render assistance.'

By late evening on 22 August, merchant tanker MT AISOPOS — diverted to the search zone — recovered two survivors from two separate liferafts. Around 8 p.m., the tanker completed the rescue of both crew members.

Fleet Deployed in the Search Zone

The Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy launched a coordinated joint operation. Coast Guard ships ICGS Varad and ICGS Anmol were immediately deployed to the area, while ICGS Vijit sailed from Sri Vijaya Puram to reinforce the operation. Authorities also alerted other vessels operating in the vicinity and requested their assistance in locating the remaining crew.

What Happens Next

The Indian Navy said it continues to closely coordinate with the Indian Coast Guard to locate the 22 still-missing crew members. Further updates on the survivors' condition and the status of the search are awaited. This incident highlights the critical role of India's maritime rapid-response infrastructure in the Bay of Bengal, one of the world's busiest shipping corridors.

Point of View

The window for survival in open sea is narrowing fast — and the multinational composition of the crew (Chinese, Myanmar, Bangladeshi nationals) will add diplomatic dimensions to what is already a complex maritime emergency. The swift redeployment of a P8I surveillance aircraft and the diversion of a passing merchant tanker are textbook SAR coordination, but the dispersed liferaft pattern suggests the vessel may have gone down rapidly, raising questions about the seaworthiness of the ship and port-clearance protocols at Paradip. India's Bay of Bengal SAR architecture is being stress-tested in real time.
NationPress
23 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened to MV Ocean-Winner?
MV Ocean-Winner, a Panama-flagged cargo vessel, sank in the Bay of Bengal on 22 August, approximately 240 nautical miles off the Odisha coast. The ship had departed Paradip Port on 20 August carrying 1,700 tonnes of iron ore bound for Singapore, with 24 crew members on board.
How many crew members have been rescued and how many are missing?
Two of the 24 crew members have been rescued from liferafts by merchant tanker MT AISOPOS. The remaining 22 crew members are still missing, and a joint search-and-rescue operation by the Indian Navy and Coast Guard is ongoing.
Who are the crew members on board MV Ocean-Winner?
The vessel had 24 crew members: 20 Chinese nationals, three from Myanmar, and one from Bangladesh. The ship was operated by Victory Star Group Co. Ltd.
Which Indian agencies are involved in the rescue operation?
The Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard are conducting a joint operation. Navy P8I aircraft located the liferafts, while Coast Guard ships ICGS Varad, ICGS Anmol, and ICGS Vijit have been deployed. The Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) at Sri Vijaya Puram is coordinating the response.
What caused MV Ocean-Winner to sink?
The exact cause of the sinking remains under investigation. Contact with the vessel was lost at 11:48 a.m. on 22 August, and the distress alert was raised by the ship's operator, Victory Star Group Co. Ltd. No official cause has been confirmed.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 14 hours ago
  2. 2 days ago
  3. 1 month ago
  4. 1 month ago
  5. 2 months ago
  6. 2 months ago
  7. 8 months ago
  8. 1 year ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google