Telangana CM Revanth Reddy cancels US trip after Centre denies clearance
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Telangana Chief Minister A. Revanth Reddy has been forced to cancel his planned visit to the United States after the Ministry of External Affairs denied political clearance, the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) confirmed on Friday, 21 August. Reddy, who departed for London late on Wednesday night as part of a 10-day official tour covering both the UK and the US, will now return to India after completing his engagements in the United Kingdom.
What the Centre Denied
The official TelanganaRising delegation, led by Chief Minister Reddy, had been scheduled to depart for the US on 23 August. According to the CMO, the state government had sought Central clearance for both the UK and US legs of the trip in accordance with established policy and protocol. The Centre approved only the UK visit and communicated its refusal for the US leg only after the delegation had already arrived in the United Kingdom.
The CMO quoted the Ministry's communication as stating that 'clearance from political angle is denied' — a phrasing that has drawn sharp reaction from the Chief Minister and the state government.
Revanth Reddy's Response
Expressing shock at what he called a 'political denial', Chief Minister Reddy said the sole purpose of the US visit was to advance educational partnerships under the Centre's own New Education Policy. 'The only purpose of the visit was to, as part of the New Education Policy of Centre, bring the world's best institutions to India, to Telangana, to Hyderabad,' he said. 'They would have been an answer to our youth's aspirations to get education, skills, and training from the best Ivy Leagues and top global institutions.'
Reddy added: 'I have always believed we should all think beyond politics and elections when it comes to nation building and future of the youth.' Despite his stated disagreement with the decision, he said he would comply with the Centre's directive and fly back to Hyderabad from London rather than proceed to Boston.
Officials Directed to Continue US Engagements
In a notable move, Chief Minister Reddy has instructed his officials to proceed with the US trip and conclude all planned MoUs and partnership agreements without him. This signals that the state government intends to press ahead with its education outreach agenda regardless of the political setback.
UK Engagements to Proceed as Scheduled
Reddy will continue with his planned UK programme, which includes visits to and interactions with Oxford, Cambridge, the London School of Economics (LSE), London Business School (LBS), and the University of London, among others. He is also scheduled to engage with top sports institutions and skilling leadership in the UK, with a view to formalising partnerships with Telangana.
Articulating his broader vision, the Chief Minister said: 'My resolve and endeavour to make Hyderabad one of the top global cities, where any common Indian can get education and a certificate from Harvard and Oxford, or an MIT and LBS or LSE, is because while most leaders want to send their children abroad, I want to bring the world's best to India.' He cited the legacy of institutions such as Osmania University, HCU, JNTU, IIT, ISB, IIIT, and Nalsar in building Hyderabad's reputation as a knowledge and technology hub.
The episode marks a significant friction point between the Congress-led Telangana government and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led Centre, with the state government making clear it views the denial as politically motivated. How this affects ongoing Centre-state cooperation on education policy will be closely watched in the weeks ahead.