India Open 2028 to shift to Guwahati over Republic Day clash, returns to Delhi in 2029
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The 2028 India Open, the country's premier event on the BWF World Series, will be held in Guwahati instead of its traditional home in New Delhi, the Badminton Association of India (BAI) announced on Sunday, 23 August. The one-year shift is driven by a scheduling conflict with Republic Day security arrangements in the national capital, with the tournament set to return to Delhi for the 2029 edition.
Why Guwahati, and Why Just for One Year
BAI Secretary General Sanjay Mishra confirmed that the 2028 India Open is scheduled for the last week of January — the same period when New Delhi is in full security lockdown ahead of and during the Republic Day Parade. Rather than alter the tournament calendar, the BAI opted to relocate for a single edition.
'The 2028 India Open will be held in the last week of January, and due to the tournament dates clashing with Republic Day security arrangements in the National capital. We felt that only for that year, we should shift the tournament to Guwahati. It will return to New Delhi in 2029,' Mishra said in a statement released by the BAI.
The 2027 edition remains in Delhi, as does the 2029 edition, making Guwahati's hosting a one-off arrangement rather than a permanent relocation.
BAI Riding High After 2026 World Championship
The announcement came on the heels of the BAI receiving widespread appreciation from Badminton World Federation (BWF) members for its organisation of the 2026 BWF World Championship in New Delhi. The praise marks a notable turnaround for the association, which had faced pointed criticism over playing conditions at the India Open venue in the previous two seasons.
'Yes, we have done it. So, all the players are happy,' Mishra said, reflecting on the successful conclusion of the World Championship.
Mia Blichfeldt's Turnaround Becomes BAI's Benchmark
Mishra specifically cited Danish shuttler Mia Blichfeldt as a barometer of the BAI's improved standards. Blichfeldt had publicly criticised the playing conditions at the $950,000 India Open for two consecutive years, becoming one of the most vocal critics of the venue's shortcomings.
This time, however, she was among the first to praise the organisers. 'The biggest example is Mia Blichfeldt, who was negative last time. She was the first one to tweet and appreciate our efforts this time. And all the players, not only players, officials and BWF members, all of them appreciated it,' Mishra said.
What This Means for Indian Badminton
Guwahati's selection signals the BAI's intent to grow the sport's footprint beyond the metro cities, tapping into the Northeast's growing enthusiasm for badminton. The city has previously hosted national-level events and is considered well-equipped for a tournament of this scale. The move also relieves logistical pressure on Delhi during one of its most security-intensive weeks of the year.
With the World Championship delivering a reputational boost and Guwahati set for a marquee hosting debut in 2028, the BAI appears to be entering a more confident phase — though the real test will be sustaining venue and playing standards across multiple editions.