S. Korea, US race to resolve $200 billion investment plan before August deadline
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
South Korea's Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan arrived in Dallas, Texas on Sunday, 17 August to hold talks aimed at resolving outstanding issues over a $200 billion investment plan — a key component of the bilateral tariff deal between Seoul and Washington. The visit underscores mounting pressure on both sides to finalise details before a self-imposed end-of-August deadline.
Background: The $350 Billion Trade Framework
Under a broader trade agreement struck last year, South Korea committed to investing $350 billion in the United States in exchange for a reduction in the US tariff rate on South Korean imports from 25 percent to 15 percent. Of this total, $150 billion was designated for cooperation in the shipbuilding sector, while the remaining $200 billion — covering broader investment projects — is still being negotiated at the working level.
What Minister Kim Said
'We had previously said we were considering announcing the projects around the end of August or early September, but as we approach the final stage, various specific issues are emerging at the working level,' Kim told reporters after landing in Dallas. When pressed on whether an announcement could still come by end of August, Kim confirmed that was the target but acknowledged complications. 'Various issues are emerging, more than we had anticipated,' he said. 'Please understand that I came here with the goal of resolving them somehow so that we can meet the end-of-August target.'
Political Turbulence Back Home
Kim's Dallas trip came just two days after Yeo Han-koo, South Korea's chief trade negotiator, was dismissed — a development that adds political sensitivity to an already complex negotiation. The dismissal signals internal strain within Seoul's trade team at a critical juncture in US-South Korea economic relations.
Broader US Tariff Pressure on South Korea
The investment talks are unfolding against a backdrop of escalating US trade actions. Last month, Washington announced a new round of tariffs on imports from 60 trading partners, ranging from 10 percent to 12.5 percent, following an investigation into forced labour under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974. South Korea was placed in the 12.5 percent bracket, alongside Japan and Switzerland. Separately, the US government is investigating 16 economies — including South Korea — over alleged excess industrial capacity under the same legislation, with results of that probe expected by the end of this month.
What Comes Next
Both governments are racing against the clock. If the $200 billion investment package is announced on schedule, it would mark a significant milestone in US-South Korea economic diplomacy. A delay, however, could intensify tariff pressure on Seoul and raise questions about the durability of the broader trade framework. Industry observers will be watching closely for any announcement from Washington or Seoul before 31 August.