Shillong violence: No night curfew, situation under control, says Dy CM Tynsong
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The Meghalaya government has decided against imposing a night curfew in Shillong following recent violence, with Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong on Thursday, 20 August stating that the law and order situation in the state capital remains under control. The decision came after a review meeting with senior district officials.
Review Meeting and Ground Situation
Tynsong said the decision followed deliberations with the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of East Khasi Hills district. He confirmed that no fresh untoward incident had been reported, and the district administration had been directed to maintain heightened vigilance through the night.
Security agencies have been deployed with drones and CCTV surveillance to identify individuals allegedly involved in vandalism and assaults during the recent incidents. 'The law will take its own course,' Tynsong said.
Highway Blockade Resolved
Addressing concerns over the Shillong–Guwahati highway, the Deputy Chief Minister said blockade-related disruptions at Jorabat and Khanapara had been resolved through coordination between the administrations of Meghalaya and Assam. Vehicular movement along the route has since been restored to normal, he said.
Intelligence Failure Allegations Rejected
Tynsong rejected allegations of an intelligence failure, saying permission for the rally that preceded the violence had been granted only after organisers assured authorities it would remain peaceful. However, he noted that the presence of masked participants during the event suggested certain individuals may have had intentions beyond what was communicated to the administration.
He also referenced the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order (MMPO) Act, saying the legislation was now available to deal with situations affecting public order in the state.
KSU Ultimatum and Dialogue Offer
On the Khasi Students' Union (KSU)'s 15-day ultimatum, Tynsong said the state government had extended an invitation for talks through the Deputy Commissioner, but the union declined. The Deputy Chief Minister reiterated that the government's doors remained open for dialogue and urged all stakeholders to resolve differences through discussion while preserving peace and public order.
With drone-assisted surveillance underway and inter-state coordination already yielding results on the highway front, the administration's next steps — particularly how it handles the KSU standoff — will be closely watched.