Bihar govt announces ₹4 lakh aid for Ashok Dham stampede victims' kin
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The Bihar government on Monday, 17 August announced ₹4 lakh in financial assistance to the next of kin of each person killed in the stampede at Ashok Dham Temple in Lakhisarai. At least seven devotees died and more than 12 were injured in the incident, which erupted during the third Monday of the holy month of Sawan as thousands had gathered to perform Jalabhishek.
How the Stampede Unfolded
According to officials, an electric pole and wires reportedly fell near the temple premises around 6.30–6.45 am, when two trains arrived simultaneously, dramatically swelling the crowd. Rumours spread among devotees that live electric current was present, triggering mass panic. Devotees rushed in multiple directions in a bid to flee, and a stampede ensued, leaving several people trapped and crushed.
Lakhisarai District Magistrate Shailendra Kumar confirmed that an unprecedented surge of devotees — intensified by the near-simultaneous arrival of the two trains — caused a barricade outside the temple to collapse, compounding the chaos.
Rescue and Relief Operations
Police and administrative officials reached the site shortly after the incident was reported. Rescue operations were launched immediately, and the injured were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment. Administrative teams continued to oversee crowd management and monitor the situation on the ground. Locals and fellow devotees also joined rescue efforts before official help arrived.
Government Response and Condolences
Bihar Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary expressed grief over the tragedy in a post on X, calling it 'extremely tragic and heart-wrenching.' He said: 'The news of the deaths of devotees in the accident has left my heart deeply distressed. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families.' He added that instructions had been issued to the administration to ensure prompt and proper treatment of the injured.
Bihar Minister Vijay Kumar Sinha termed the stampede 'very tragic and unfortunate,' and confirmed he had spoken to both the District Magistrate and temple authorities. He stated that the incident would be investigated and those found responsible would face strict action. He also said medical arrangements had been given the highest priority on the Chief Minister's direction.
Inquiry Ordered, Accountability Assured
BJP Bihar president Sanjay Saraogi said the state government had immediately ordered a high-level inquiry. He assured that those responsible would 'not be spared under any circumstances' and that the government and district administration stood firmly with the bereaved families. This comes amid growing calls for better crowd management protocols at major religious sites across the country, particularly during peak pilgrimage months like Sawan.
As the investigation gets under way, the focus will be on whether adequate safety infrastructure — including barricade strength and electrical line management — was in place ahead of one of the most heavily attended Mondays of the Sawan calendar.