Gelatin blasts hit Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary anti-poaching camps; CM Shivakumar orders probe

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
Gelatin blasts hit Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary anti-poaching camps; CM Shivakumar orders probe

Synopsis

Days after three alleged poachers were killed in a forest encounter near Hanur, unidentified miscreants allegedly used gelatin explosives to blast anti-poaching camps inside Karnataka's Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary — and vandalised seven more. The blasts occurred on 15 August but surfaced only three days later, raising urgent questions about organised retaliation against forest personnel.

Key Takeaways

Gelatin explosives were allegedly used to blast anti-poaching camps at Holemurudatti , Minchinarehalla , and Nala Boli inside the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary on 15 August .
Seven other anti-poaching camps were allegedly vandalised by unidentified miscreants in the same area.
The blasts followed the killing of three alleged poachers in a forest encounter near Hanur, Karnataka .
No forest personnel were present at the camps at the time of the blasts, averting casualties.
Shivakumar confirmed a probe is underway, with Forest Minister Ramalinga Reddy overseeing the investigation.
The incident came to light three days after it reportedly occurred.

Gelatin explosives were allegedly used to target anti-poaching camps (APCs) inside the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Chamarajanagar, Karnataka, days after three alleged poachers were killed in a forest encounter near Hanur. The blasts, which reportedly occurred on 15 August, came to light only three days later, raising serious concerns over the safety of forest department personnel in the region.

What Happened at the Sanctuary

According to officials, the gelatin explosives were used to blast anti-poaching camps located at Holemurudatti, Minchinarehalla, and Nala Boli within the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary. In addition to the blast at one camp, seven other anti-poaching camps were allegedly vandalised by unidentified miscreants.

Forest officials reportedly escaped a major tragedy as no personnel were present at the targeted camps at the time of the blasts — a consequence of movements following the earlier shootout. Authorities are investigating whether the explosions were directly linked to the recent encounter and are working to identify those responsible.

The Hanur Encounter: The Trigger

The blasts came in the immediate aftermath of the killing of three alleged poachers in a forest encounter near Hanur, an incident that had already heightened tensions in the area. The timing of the explosions — on the same day news of the deaths emerged — has led investigators to examine a possible connection between the two events. The identity of the miscreants behind the blasts remains unknown, and authorities have not ruled out any angle.

What the Government Said

Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar, responding to the development in Bengaluru on Wednesday, confirmed he had received information about the incidents. He said, Forest Minister Ramalinga Reddy was overseeing the investigation. When asked whether the involvement of poachers from Tamil Nadu was suspected, Shivakumar said: 'I have also received some information. The Forest Minister is overseeing the investigation. I will not make any comments at this stage. We will provide details once the report is submitted.'

On the Hanur encounter itself, the Chief Minister added: 'A thorough investigation into the Hanur shootout case is currently underway, and we will comment once the investigation is completed.'

Safety Concerns for Forest Personnel

The deliberate targeting of anti-poaching infrastructure has triggered fresh alarm among forest department staff operating in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary. The blasts, combined with the vandalism of seven additional camps, point to a coordinated attempt to intimidate or incapacitate forest personnel. This comes amid a broader challenge of poaching activity in the sanctuary, which forms a critical wildlife corridor in southern Karnataka. Authorities are expected to enhance security measures at remaining camps as the investigation proceeds.

Point of View

It would signal that poaching networks in the Cauvery corridor are willing to strike back at forest institutions directly. The three-day delay in the incident coming to light is itself a concern: it suggests either a breakdown in field reporting or a deliberate suppression of information. Chief Minister Shivakumar's decision to withhold comment until a report is submitted is procedurally sound, but the public silence on whether Tamil Nadu cross-border poaching networks are involved leaves a critical question unanswered.
NationPress
19 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened at the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary anti-poaching camps?
Unidentified miscreants allegedly used gelatin explosives to blast anti-poaching camps at Holemurudatti, Minchinarehalla, and Nala Boli inside the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary on 15 August. Seven additional camps were also reportedly vandalised. No forest personnel were present at the time, preventing casualties.
How is the Cauvery sanctuary blast linked to the Hanur encounter?
The blasts reportedly occurred on the same day — 15 August — that news broke of three alleged poachers being killed in a forest encounter near Hanur. Authorities are investigating whether the attacks on the anti-poaching camps were a direct response to that encounter, though no formal link has been confirmed yet.
What has the Karnataka government said about the incident?
Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar confirmed on Wednesday that he had received information about the blasts and that Forest Minister Ramalinga Reddy is overseeing the investigation. Shivakumar declined to comment further, stating details would be shared once the investigation report is submitted.
Are poachers from Tamil Nadu suspected in the Cauvery sanctuary attacks?
When asked about possible Tamil Nadu poacher involvement, Chief Minister Shivakumar said he would not comment at this stage and that the investigation is ongoing. No official confirmation of cross-border involvement has been made.
Why did the Cauvery sanctuary blast come to light three days later?
The incident reportedly occurred on 15 August but only became public knowledge three days later. Authorities have not yet explained the delay, which has itself raised questions about field reporting protocols within the forest department.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest Yesterday
  2. Yesterday
  3. Yesterday
  4. 2 days ago
  5. 2 days ago
  6. 3 days ago
  7. 9 months ago
  8. 1 year ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google