Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC exams after student protests; BJP says 'had to bow down'

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC exams after student protests; BJP says 'had to bow down'

Synopsis

After 16 days on hunger strike, Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahto walked away with a government climbdown — JSSC and TDPL exams cancelled. But the BJP is now weaponising the moment, demanding a CBI probe into alleged paper leaks. With the JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum refusing to stand down, the political battle over Jharkhand's recruitment scandal is far from over.

Key Takeaways

The Hemant Soren government cancelled all JSSC and TDPL examinations on 18 August following weeks of student protests.
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto and three others ended a 16-day hunger strike at Ranchi Sadar Hospital at around 1.15 am .
The BJP called the government's move a forced 'bow down' and demanded a CBI probe into alleged exam paper leaks.
The JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum announced its agitation will continue until a CBI investigation is ordered.
Ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari were present at the hospital when protesters formally broke their fast.

The Hemant Soren government in Jharkhand on Tuesday, 18 August cancelled all examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) and TDPL, ending weeks of student unrest that had escalated into a prolonged hunger strike. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto and three others called off their 16-day fast in the early hours at Ranchi Sadar Hospital, while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) declared the development a forced capitulation by the ruling government.

How the Hunger Strike Ended

At around 1.15 am, the four protesters — Devendra Nath Mahto, Umm-e-Habiba, Prem Nayak, and Kush Mahto — formally ended their fast after state ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari offered them juice at the hospital. Speaking after breaking his fast, Mahto said, 'Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we ended our fast in a dignified manner. With the joint initiative of Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Deepika Pandey and our MLA Jairam Mahto, we decided to suspend our hunger strike. All the demands for which we had been protesting constitutionally and peacefully have been fulfilled.'

BJP's Political Response

BJP Bihar president Sanjay Saraogi congratulated the students but pressed for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, saying, 'Congratulations, the students have won. The examination has been cancelled. But an organised group is operating in Jharkhand, leaking examination papers. What is the problem with a CBI enquiry? The students' future is at stake.'

Bihar Minister Ramkripal Yadav said the Soren government's concession amounted to an admission of wrongdoing: 'The government of Jharkhand had to bow down. By bowing down, it means that they have accepted that they made a mistake. If a CBI investigation is conducted, the truth will come out.'

BJP spokesperson R.P. Singh argued that exam cancellation alone was insufficient: 'The cancellation of the examination is a separate issue, but an investigation is essential to find out who committed the scam. The Chief Minister there is running away from the investigation.'

BJP MP Praveen Khandelwal took a more conciliatory line, urging the Jharkhand government to engage in dialogue with students whose concerns remained unresolved.

Opposition and Ally Reactions

Janata Dal (United) MP Sanjay Kumar Jha said the outcome was inevitable given the scale of irregularities that had come to light in the examination process, drawing a parallel with student unrest elsewhere. Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief national spokesperson Priyanka Kakkar praised the protesters, saying the students had led a peaceful agitation and expressing hope that all their concerns would be addressed.

Agitation Not Fully Over

Despite the hunger strike ending, the JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum announced it would continue its agitation until a CBI probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations is ordered. The demand for an independent federal investigation remains the central unresolved flashpoint, and with the BJP amplifying it at the national level, pressure on the Soren administration is unlikely to ease. How the Jharkhand government responds to the CBI demand will determine whether the student movement truly subsides or reignites.

Point of View

The opposition is ensuring the story does not end with student satisfaction but continues as a governance scandal. The real question mainstream coverage is underplaying: why did it take a 16-day hunger strike to act on what were evidently well-documented irregularities? If the paper-leak network is as organised as BJP leaders claim, the absence of any prior state-level inquiry is itself a story. The Jharkhand government has bought temporary calm at the cost of a much larger accountability reckoning.
NationPress
18 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did Jharkhand cancel the JSSC and TDPL examinations?
The Jharkhand government cancelled all JSSC and TDPL examinations on 18 August following weeks of student protests and a 16-day hunger strike over alleged irregularities, including paper leaks, in government job recruitment processes.
Who is Devendra Nath Mahto and what did he demand?
Devendra Nath Mahto is a Jharkhand student leader who led a hunger strike demanding the cancellation of tainted examinations and a CBI probe into alleged paper leaks. He ended his fast on 18 August after the government cancelled the exams, stating all protested demands had been fulfilled.
What is the BJP demanding from the Jharkhand government?
The BJP is demanding a CBI investigation into alleged exam paper leaks and recruitment irregularities in Jharkhand. Senior BJP leaders, including Bihar president Sanjay Saraogi and Bihar Minister Ramkripal Yadav, have argued that exam cancellation alone is insufficient without an independent federal probe.
Has the student agitation in Jharkhand fully ended?
No. While Devendra Nath Mahto and three other hunger strikers ended their fast, the JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum has announced it will continue its agitation until a CBI probe into recruitment exam irregularities is ordered by the government.
What role did Jharkhand ministers play in ending the hunger strike?
Health Minister Irfan Ansari and Minister Deepika Pandey Singh were present at Ranchi Sadar Hospital when the four protesters formally broke their fast at around 1.15 am on 18 August. The ministers offered juice to mark the end of the fast.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 4 hours ago
  2. Yesterday
  3. 1 week ago
  4. 1 week ago
  5. 1 week ago
  6. 1 week ago
  7. 1 week ago
  8. 2 weeks ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google