Jaipur CMO bomb threat: Accused arrested after 4.5-hour search finds nothing
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
A bomb threat targeting the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) in Jaipur triggered a large-scale security operation on Tuesday, 18 August, after a caller claimed an explosive device had been planted inside the building. The threat call, received at the Jaipur Police Control Room, prompted immediate deployment of multiple agencies — and ended with the arrest of the accused within hours.
The Search Operation
DCP (South) Rajarshi Raj reached the CMO to oversee the response. Teams from the Rajasthan Police, dog squad, Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS), and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) were deployed and conducted a thorough sweep of the building. The search, which began at approximately 10:30 am, lasted roughly four and a half hours. No suspicious object was found.
Accused Identified and Arrested
Investigators at Vidhayakpuri police station traced the phone number used to make the threat call. The accused was identified as Lala Kothyari, 38, a resident of Sawai Madhopur. According to preliminary information, Kothyari allegedly placed the call while under the influence of intoxicants. Police said he is being interrogated to establish the exact motive and circumstances behind the threat.
A Pattern of Threats Across Jaipur
This was not the first time the Rajasthan CMO has received such a threat. On 26 July 2025, a similar threat was issued against both the CMO and Jaipur International Airport; searches at both locations yielded nothing. The Rajasthan High Court has also been repeatedly targeted — on 13 July 2026, an email claimed six gelatin bombs had been planted, though the message stated there was no intention to harm the public. According to officials, the Jaipur Bench of the High Court received 13 threats over eight months, spanning dates in October and December 2025 and continuing into early 2026.
Educational institutions have not been spared either. On 13 May 2024 — the anniversary of the Jaipur serial blasts — threats were issued against 56 schools under the Jaipur Commissionerate. The Palace School at Jaleb Chowk received a threat by email on 16 June 2025, while Pareek School in Chandpole received one on 19 June 2024. On 19 August 2024, both Delhi Public School and Pink Square Mall in Adarsh Nagar were targeted on the same day. In each case, multi-agency searches found no explosive device.
Heightened Vigilance Now Standard
Officials said the sustained frequency of hoax threats has compelled security agencies to maintain heightened vigilance around government offices, educational institutions, and other sensitive locations across Jaipur. The pattern raises concerns about the strain such repeated false alarms place on emergency response resources. With Kothyari in custody, police are expected to determine whether Tuesday's call was an isolated act or part of a broader trend of hoax threats that has unsettled the city for over a year.