Rahul Gandhi sit-in at Delhi police station: Congress won't leave till FIR filed for pellet-gun victim
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi staged a sit-in outside the Parliament Street Police Station in New Delhi on 21 August, demanding that Delhi Police register a fresh First Information Report (FIR) on behalf of Sahil Lochab, a student who the Indian National Congress (Congress) claims sustained pellet-gun injuries during protests at Jantar Mantar on 20 July. Congress leaders accompanying Gandhi vowed to remain at the site until the FIR is formally registered.
What the Protest Is About
The agitation centres on the alleged refusal of Delhi Police to register a specific FIR sought by Lochab's lawyer, related to the use of pellet guns during last month's student demonstrations demanding education reforms. Congress leaders acknowledged that a general FIR concerning police action during the 20 July Parliament march has already been filed, but argued that a separate, case-specific FIR addressing Lochab's injuries is legally required and has not been lodged.
Congress MP Jairam Ramesh told reporters: 'His (Lochab's) lawyer has demanded the registration of an FIR. This is not some general FIR but rather a strictly defined one, concerning the illegal manner in which police action took place (against Sahil), where pellet guns were used.'
Key Developments at the Protest Site
Congress MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra joined the sit-in shortly after it began, outside the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police at Parliament Street. Congress MP Kishori Lal Sharma was also present at the site.
Ramesh stated that discussions were reportedly under way at senior levels — including with the Home Secretary and the Commissioner of Police, Delhi — but that no formal communication had been conveyed to the protesters as of the time of his remarks. He quoted Gandhi directly: 'Until an FIR is registered, and a new FIR registration number is given, we will not leave from here.'
What Congress Leaders Said
Congress MP Kishori Lal Sharma called the situation 'very shameful,' arguing that registering an FIR is a democratic right of every citizen. He questioned why the government was reluctant to allow the truth about who ordered the use of pellet guns to emerge, and noted that the Home Minister had not appeared before Parliament on the matter.
Congress leader Mukul Wasnik, also present at the site, said the party's fight would continue 'till the government reveals the truth regarding who ordered the firing of pellet guns on students.'
Congress MP Pramod Tiwari, speaking to reporters in Uttar Pradesh, said Gandhi had gone to 'secure the right of a victim,' adding that over a month had elapsed since the 20 July incident without an FIR being filed. He also accused the Centre of 'shielding the accused.'
In Rajasthan, Congress leader Sachin Pilot said Gandhi was 'making every effort to ensure that those people get justice,' reiterating that every citizen has the right to seek legal redress.
The Political Dimension
Ramesh accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of 'viewing the matter through the lens of polarisation,' calling such an approach 'completely unacceptable and condemnable.' The Congress framing positions the sit-in not merely as a legal demand but as a challenge to what the party characterises as selective law enforcement under the current administration. This comes amid broader opposition criticism of the Centre's handling of student protests that erupted last month.
What Happens Next
The sit-in was continuing as of Friday evening, with no confirmed response from Delhi Police or the Union Home Ministry on the specific FIR demand. The Congress has indicated it will maintain the protest until a new FIR registration number is formally issued to Lochab's legal counsel.