Delhi Police FIR on pellet gun complaint: Congress says probe basis established
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Delhi Police on 21 August registered a First Information Report (FIR) against unknown persons on the complaint of Sahil Lochab, a young man who allegedly sustained pellet injuries during the July 20 Parliament march. The development came after Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi staged an over seven-hour sit-in outside the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police at Parliament Street Police Station in New Delhi, protesting the police's alleged refusal to register the case.
What the FIR Means
Congress leader Salman Khurshid said the registration of the FIR formally opens the door to a probe into the alleged police excesses. 'The registration of an FIR means that the investigation, the probe into the incident where a young man was injured by pellets striking his eyes and body, will now commence. It establishes who bears the responsibility, who is being accused, and who must answer for it. Until now, there was no FIR, so there was no basis for an investigation; today, that basis has been established,' he said after the agitation was called off.
Gandhi's Sit-In and the Congress Response
Congress MP Imran Pratapgarhi described the filing of the FIR as a 'massive victory' for students, crediting Gandhi's 'steadfast resolve.' He said Gandhi had declared he would continue the protest for fifty days if necessary until the FIR was registered. Congress MP Kumari Selja said Gandhi and party leaders sat through the day 'solely to stand with the victim's family,' and alleged that the FIR was registered only because the government came under pressure, not of its own accord.
The Victim's Condition and the Family's Ordeal
According to Congress leaders, Sahil Lochab still has pellets lodged in his chest and hands following the July 20 incident. Selja alleged that despite visible injuries, the government maintained no pellet gun had been fired. She said the family was 'made to run from pillar to post' before the FIR was finally accepted. The government has not publicly responded to these specific allegations.
Opposition Voices
Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury called the outcome a 'victory' for the party, saying 'the work that could have been done in half an hour was forcefully dragged till evening.' Pratapgarhi further said the episode demonstrated that 'students' concerns are the biggest issue for Rahul Gandhi,' while contrasting the Congress's stated position with what he characterised as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)'s priorities.
What Comes Next
With the FIR now registered, investigators will be required to identify the accused and examine the circumstances of the July 20 Parliament march, during which protesters allegedly clashed with police. The probe is expected to scrutinise whether standard crowd-control protocols were followed and who authorised the use of pellet guns, if any. The Congress has signalled it will continue to press the issue in Parliament and on the streets.