Ponting demands Labuschagne axe after second Test flop in Mackay
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting has called for the immediate removal of Marnus Labuschagne from the Test XI after another underwhelming performance in the second Test against Bangladesh at Great Barrier Reef Arena, Mackay on Saturday, 22 August. Labuschagne's dismissal for just four runs — bowled by Shoriful Islam off a ball that clipped his pad onto the stumps — extended a prolonged lean patch that has now stretched to 10 innings without a fifty and no century since the Ashes 2023.
Ponting's Verdict
'I admire what they're trying to do to get him back to his best,' Ponting said on Channel 7. 'But it's been way too long now. I would have made the change at the start of this series.'
Ponting was unsparing in his technical diagnosis: 'There's some technical deficiency there, but he's making the margin for error for the bowlers too great. He can't score off the back foot, and if you can't score off the back foot in Test cricket, batting becomes a hard game. Bowlers now know they can bowl anywhere from 10 metres to four metres on off stump and as wide as they want, and he can't hurt them. It's well and truly time to have a look at somebody else.'
A Pattern of Decline
The scrutiny over Australia's top order has been building since their shock defeat to Bangladesh in the first Test in Darwin. In the aftermath, selectors recalled Matt Renshaw — ending a three-year absence — in place of struggling opener Jake Weatherland, but Renshaw contributed only eight runs. Travis Head, who was a revelation at the top of the order against England, managed just 22 and has now gone four innings without a fifty.
Ponting had previously flagged the need for a top-order reset after the Darwin loss, saying the evidence was already sufficient to begin a generational shift. 'I think that that has to happen,' he told Channel 7 earlier in the series.
Where Australia Stand
Despite the top-order fragility, Mitchell Starc's six-wicket haul dismissed Bangladesh for just 64, giving Australia a 101-run lead. At stumps on the day, Australia were 165 for 8, with Cameron Green unbeaten on 51 and Nathan Lyon on 10. Shoriful Islam matched Starc with his own six-wicket haul, ensuring Australia's lower order remained under pressure.
What's Next for Australia's Batting
With two wickets still in hand and a lead of 101 runs, Australia remain favourites to win the Mackay Test. However, the structural questions around the top order carry weight beyond this series — Australia are scheduled to tour South Africa for a three-match Test series later this year, where batting frailties against quality pace bowling will face a far sterner examination. The selectors' next move on Labuschagne is expected to draw significant attention ahead of that tour.