Rohan Kapoor & Gadde exit BWF Worlds 2026 after 3-game collapse vs Canada
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Rohan Kapoor and Ruthvika Shivani Gadde bowed out of the BWF World Championships 2026 in the mixed doubles opener on Tuesday, squandering a first-game advantage to fall 22-20, 19-21, 17-21 against Canada's Jonathan Lai and Crystal Lai at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi. The contest lasted one hour and eight minutes, with India's campaign ending at the first hurdle on home soil.
How the Match Unfolded
The Indian pair started with authority, taking the opening game 22-20 and appearing to control the tempo. The second game, however, proved decisive. A lapse in concentration midway through the second set allowed the Canadian pair to level the contest, and the momentum never returned to the Indian side.
'We won the first game. We were in control of the first game... But I think we lost a bit of focus in the second set. We just lost the second game there and then obviously the pressure built up in the third. We were trailing the entire third game and as a result of it, we lost the match,' Kapoor told reporters in the mixed zone after the defeat.
What Kapoor Said After the Loss
A visibly frustrated Kapoor was candid about the need to move on quickly. 'I would not want to think about this match ever again. Probably that's the good way ahead. If I want to continue working hard and get better, I think I need to forget about this match and move on,' he said.
He also identified service returns as the technical area where the pair struggled most in the second half of the second game. Coach Pullela Gopichand, who was on the bench, reportedly urged the pair to return to basics during the critical phase.
'It was just that we need to stick to basics. We need to focus a lot on service receivings. Because that was the area where we were lacking in the second set in the second half,' Kapoor stated.
Confidence That Backfired
The defeat carried an extra sting because Kapoor and Gadde had entered the match with justified confidence — they had beaten the same Lai pair in straight games the previous year. That prior result, however, may have contributed to the costly lapse in the second game.
'We were quite confident that we would pull out this match. But obviously, sometimes the conditions, even when you are comfortable with the conditions, things are not in your favour,' Kapoor admitted. He clarified that the court conditions at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium were not a factor, describing them as nothing his team had not encountered before.
Broader Context
The exit is a setback for Indian mixed doubles at a home World Championships — a tournament where the pressure of playing in front of a partisan crowd cuts both ways. Notably, the pair had been considered capable of a deep run given their recent head-to-head record against the Canadians. The defeat underscores a recurring pattern in Indian badminton: strong first-game performances that fail to translate into match wins when opponents make mid-match adjustments. Kapoor and Gadde will now look to regroup ahead of the next leg of the international circuit.