Rayo Vallecano forced to Butarque for La Liga clash as Vallecas ban holds
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Rayo Vallecano coach Benat San Jose voiced sharp frustration on Wednesday, 19 August over his side being compelled to play their La Liga 2026-27 matchday 2 fixture against Deportivo Alavés at Leganés' second-division Butarque Stadium on Thursday, rather than at their traditional Vallecas home ground in the south of Madrid. The displacement follows a licence suspension imposed by the Comunidad de Madrid, citing serious safety and regulatory failings at the ageing stadium.
Why Rayo Cannot Play at Vallecas
The Comunidad de Madrid, which owns the Vallecas Stadium, announced that a recent audit had uncovered significant maintenance deficiencies and widespread regulatory non-compliance at the ground. In an official statement, the regional government declared it had 'decided to temporarily suspend the concession to carry out these reforms,' adding that 'there is no way to guarantee that something won't happen.' The statement also cited 'widespread obsolescence' and 'severe regulatory non-compliance' as grounds for the suspension, and made clear that maintaining the venue and meeting safety licensing requirements is the club's responsibility.
San Jose's Reaction
'We're very upset and frustrated,' San Jose told reporters on Wednesday. The former Eibar manager said he had been informed that all necessary paperwork and permits were in order, only to be denied permission to use Vallecas at the last moment. 'Until this morning, we were waiting to see if we could play in Vallecas,' he said. 'That hasn't happened to us; we've been denied the option to play in our stadium, and it's not an easy situation,' he added.
Club's Bid to Postpone Rejected
Rayo Vallecano sought to have the matchday 2 fixture postponed, but La Liga refused the request, leaving the club with no option but to relocate to Butarque, the home of nearby second-division side CD Leganés. The short-notice nature of the decision — with the club still expecting clearance as recently as Wednesday morning — added to the sense of grievance within the camp.
Fan Tensions and Broader Concerns
The ground closure has deepened an already fraught relationship between Rayo supporters and the Comunidad de Madrid. A section of the club's fanbase has long harboured suspicions that the regional government intends to demolish the ageing stadium and redevelop the site for commercial and residential purposes — allegations that officials have publicly denied. The episode has reignited debate over the future of one of Spanish football's most community-rooted grounds.
What Happens Next
The temporary relocation to Butarque is expected to continue until the required structural and safety reforms at Vallecas are completed and the licence reinstated. No timeline for the restoration of the concession has been publicly confirmed. The situation will be closely watched by La Liga clubs and Spanish football authorities as a test case for stadium safety enforcement.