Karnataka drought relief funds not released, BJP's Ashoka attacks state govt
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
R. Ashoka, the Karnataka Leader of Opposition and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader, on Tuesday, 18 August accused the state's Congress-led government of failing to release a single rupee in drought relief funds, even as farmers and livestock in central and northern Karnataka face acute distress from inadequate rainfall. Ashoka made the allegations while addressing reporters at Vidhana Soudha in Bengaluru.
Drought Allegations: What Ashoka Said
The Leader of Opposition charged that the state government had neither formally declared a drought nor disbursed any financial assistance to affected farmers. Central and northern Karnataka have received below-normal rainfall this season, triggering what Ashoka described as 'severe drought-like conditions.'
'Farmers are in distress because of the drought, and livestock are also suffering. There has been insufficient rainfall in central and northern Karnataka, resulting in severe drought-like conditions. But the state government has not released even a single rupee so far,' he alleged.
Ashoka questioned the utility of public statements by the government in the absence of concrete financial relief, specifically referring to a proposed statement by Deputy Chief Minister G. Parameshwara. 'What is the purpose of making statements when no funds have been released for drought relief?' he asked. He urged the government to immediately open cattle shelters and release relief funds.
BJP-JD(S) Coordination on the Issue
Ashoka said the BJP had coordinated with alliance partner Janata Dal (Secular) and raised the drought issue at the coordination committee level, demanding that the ongoing Assembly session take up a comprehensive discussion on the crisis. He added that the party had conducted an independent study of drought conditions and submitted a formal report, and that he had personally toured affected districts to assess ground realities.
Cauvery Dispute and Cabinet Controversy
Widening his attack, Ashoka alleged that the state government had failed to effectively represent Karnataka's position in the Cauvery water dispute, compounding hardship for farmers in the Cauvery basin. He also reiterated the BJP's demand for the removal of Minister B. Nagendra from the Cabinet, citing an alleged ₹187 crore irregularity in the Valmiki Development Corporation. 'The government cannot function with a tainted Minister in the Cabinet,' Ashoka said, warning that protests would continue until Nagendra was dismissed.
KPSC Corruption Charges
Ashoka further alleged large-scale corruption in the Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC), pointing to audio recordings that he claimed were linked to question paper leaks and bribery. He also cited corruption allegations involving the Greater Bengaluru Authority and the Police Department. The BJP has demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the KPSC irregularities, arguing that the formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) came only after the irregularities became public — and was therefore insufficient.
What Comes Next
With the Karnataka Assembly session ongoing, the BJP's multi-pronged offensive — spanning drought relief, the Cauvery dispute, ministerial accountability, and KPSC corruption — signals an intensifying opposition campaign against the state government. Whether the ruling Congress responds with formal drought declarations or fund releases is likely to define the political temperature in the session's remaining days.