US sanctions ICC president and trial lawyer in widening anti-court campaign
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The United States imposed sanctions on International Criminal Court (ICC) President Tomoko Akane of Japan and Senior Trial Lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal on 19 August, marking a sharp escalation in the Trump administration's confrontation with the Hague-based tribunal. Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the designations, warning that further measures are forthcoming as Washington pursues what it describes as a government-wide effort to curb the court's reach.
The Sanctions and Their Legal Basis
The designations were imposed under Section 1(a)(ii)(A) of Executive Order 14203, titled 'Imposing Sanctions on the International Criminal Court,' according to the State Department. Rubio accused both officials of direct involvement in ICC proceedings against nationals of countries that have not consented to the court's jurisdiction.
'These individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction,' Rubio said in a formal statement.
Washington's Core Objection
The administration's central grievance is that the ICC has sought authority over citizens of non-member states — including the United States — without their consent. 'The ICC has repeatedly attempted to assert authority over nationals of the United States and other countries that have not consented to its jurisdiction or ratified the Rome Statute,' Rubio said. 'This sets a dangerous precedent for all nations.'
Rubio characterised the court in stark terms: 'The International Criminal Court is a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate. We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty.'
A Broader Diplomatic Campaign
Tuesday's action, Rubio said, forms part of a diplomatic campaign launched last month to challenge what Washington considers an overreach by the tribunal. The administration has urged other nations to withdraw their financial and political support from the court.
'Our whole of government campaign to dismantle the threat posed by the ICC to national sovereignty will be sweeping and we expect more countries to join our campaign by ending their funding and participation in this politicized and unaccountable court,' Rubio said.
What the ICC Is and Why It Matters
The ICC, established under the Rome Statute which entered into force in 2002, is mandated to prosecute individuals accused of genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression when national courts are unable or unwilling to act. The United States has never ratified the Rome Statute, a position that predates the Trump administration and has historically informed Washington's scepticism of the court's reach.
The sanctioning of the court's sitting president is, however, a significant departure from previous administrations' postures — even those that opposed ICC jurisdiction over US nationals.
What Comes Next
Rubio made clear that 19 August's designations would not be the final step. 'The Trump Administration stands ready to take additional measures, if necessary, to systematically dismantle the ICC until it is incapable of threatening American sovereignty,' he said. The administration has not specified what additional tools it may deploy, but the framing of a 'whole of government' effort suggests potential legislative, financial, and diplomatic pressure on member states that continue to fund the court.