West Bengal floods: 2 dead, 3,200 homes damaged in Sabang, CM visits

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
West Bengal floods: 2 dead, 3,200 homes damaged in Sabang, CM visits

Synopsis

Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari's ground visit to flood-hit Sabang — the first by a Bengal CM in nearly four decades, according to residents — exposed both the scale of the crisis (2 dead, 3,200 homes damaged) and a policy gap: mat-stick makers, a key local livelihood, have no insurance cover and no clear compensation route yet.

Key Takeaways

2 people killed and 3,200 houses damaged in floods at Sabang , West Midnapore , as of 20 August .
Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari conducted an aerial survey and held an administrative review at the local block development office.
Each flood-affected family will receive ₹30,000 in compensation from the state government.
Farmers under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana are eligible for crop-loss compensation; relief for mat-stick makers is yet to be worked out.
Authorities are on alert in Arambagh, Hooghly district , over the risk of fresh water releases by the Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) .

Two people have died and 3,200 houses have been damaged in the severe flooding at Sabang in West Midnapore district of West Bengal, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari confirmed on Thursday, 20 August. Adhikari visited the flood-affected areas in person, conducting an aerial survey of the situation before chairing an administrative review meeting at the local block development office with district officials, legislators, and ministers.

Compensation for Affected Families

Chief Minister Adhikari announced that each family whose home has been damaged will receive a compensation of ₹30,000 from the state government. He added that the administration would also extend support to farmers whose crops were destroyed by the floodwaters.

'Two persons have died so far and 3,200 houses have been damaged. Each affected family whose house had been damaged will be provided with a compensation of ₹30,000 by the state government,' Adhikari told reporters after the review meeting.

Relief for Farmers and Mat-Stick Makers

Farmers enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana will be eligible to claim crop-loss compensation through the insurance scheme, the Chief Minister said. However, Adhikari acknowledged that a separate strategy still needs to be worked out for mat-stick makers — a traditional cottage industry in the region — who are not covered under any existing insurance framework.

CM's First Ground Visit in Nearly Four Decades, He Claims

Adhikari noted that flood-affected residents told him that no Chief Minister had physically visited Sabang's flood-hit areas since 1986 — a claim he used to draw a contrast with the previous Trinamool Congress-led administration. 'The previous government did not consider the people of this area as human beings. I have a human connection with them. That is why I came here. My life begins with rural Bengal and will also end with rural Bengal,' he said.

Arambagh on Alert as DVC Dam Release Looms

The Chief Minister also flagged a potential secondary flood risk in Arambagh in Hooghly district, where the situation remains stable for now. He said the administration is closely monitoring the area and warned that conditions could deteriorate if the Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) releases fresh water from its dams. 'I have asked the Hooghly district administration to remain alert,' Adhikari said.

With the flood situation in Sabang still evolving, the state government's ability to execute relief swiftly — particularly for uninsured communities like mat-stick makers — will be the defining measure of its response.

Point of View

But the harder test is follow-through. The ₹30,000 compensation per household is a floor, not a solution — especially for mat-stick makers who fall outside every existing insurance net and have no announced relief pathway yet. The DVC dam-release warning over Arambagh signals the crisis may widen before it narrows. A government that positions itself as closer to rural Bengal than its predecessor must now demonstrate it with verifiable disbursement timelines, not just aerial surveys.
NationPress
20 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

How many people have died and how many homes were damaged in the Sabang floods?
Two people have died and 3,200 houses have been damaged in the floods at Sabang in West Midnapore district, according to Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari's statement on 20 August. The situation was still being monitored at the time of his visit.
What compensation will flood-affected families in Sabang receive?
Each family whose house was damaged in the Sabang floods will receive ₹30,000 from the West Bengal state government. Farmers covered under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana are also eligible for crop-loss compensation.
Why is Arambagh in Hooghly district on flood alert?
Arambagh is on alert because of the risk that the Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) may release fresh water from its dams, which could worsen conditions in the area. Chief Minister Adhikari said there is no flood-like situation there yet, but has directed the Hooghly district administration to stay on high alert.
What relief has been announced for mat-stick makers affected by the floods?
No specific relief scheme has been announced yet for mat-stick makers. Chief Minister Adhikari acknowledged that the state government needs to work out a strategy to cover them under some form of insurance or compensation mechanism.
When did a West Bengal Chief Minister last visit Sabang's flood-affected areas?
According to flood-affected residents who spoke to Chief Minister Adhikari during his visit, no Chief Minister had physically visited the flood-hit areas of Sabang since 1986 — a gap of nearly four decades.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 3 days ago
  2. 1 week ago
  3. 2 weeks ago
  4. 2 weeks ago
  5. 2 weeks ago
  6. 3 weeks ago
  7. 3 weeks ago
  8. 3 weeks ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google