Jharkhand student protest Day 24: BJP asks why CM Soren skips talks
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The ongoing student agitation in Jharkhand over recruitment examination irregularities entered its 24th consecutive day on Monday, 17 August, as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) publicly questioned why Chief Minister Hemant Soren is refusing to personally participate in negotiations with the demonstrators. A fourth round of talks between government representatives and protest leaders is scheduled for the same day, with the movement's next direction hinging on its outcome.
BJP's Challenge to CM Soren
BJP spokesperson Pratul Shah Deo sharply criticised the Chief Minister, raising two pointed questions. 'First, I would like to ask the Chief Minister, why, in the first place, was the sequence of talks broken? You did not just break it; you brutally lathi-charged them, used tear gas, and even got a case of attempted culpable homicide filed against them,' he said.
Deo further pressed Soren on his absence from Monday's dialogue. 'Chief Minister, why are you not participating in today's talks? These students have clearly said that they do not have much confidence in these ministers, because these very ministers of the cabinet committee have made objectionable remarks against the students,' he said. He also alleged that some members of the government delegation were not students at all, and that others had been labelled as BJP supporters by the government side.
What the Students Are Demanding
The protesters, gathered in large numbers at Ranchi's Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, are agitating against alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC). Their core demands include the cancellation of exams conducted by private testing contractor TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) — a firm that has since been blacklisted — and a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the irregularities.
'They have only demanded that the exams conducted by the private testing contractor TDPL be cancelled. That company has been blacklisted. They also want a CBI enquiry. What is wrong with it?' Deo said, describing the demands as 'genuine and simple.'
Escalation Threat and Political Stakes
With the protest now in its fourth week, students have announced a siege of Chief Minister Soren's residence on 20 August if their demands remain unmet — a significant escalation that raises the political temperature for the ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM)-led government. The BJP has sought to amplify this pressure, calling on Soren to directly accept the students' demands rather than route negotiations through ministers whom protesters say they distrust.
'The Chief Minister should just accept the students' demands; there won't be any need to hold talks. Just announce it, and students will return to their homes,' Deo added.
What Comes Next
The outcome of Monday's fourth round of talks will be closely watched. If the government delegation fails to offer concrete assurances, the planned siege of the Chief Minister's residence on 20 August is likely to proceed, potentially drawing the standoff into a new and more confrontational phase. Whether CM Soren chooses to personally intervene before that deadline may prove decisive.