Jharkhand HC stays JPSC exam cancellation; BJP slams state govt
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The Jharkhand High Court on Thursday, 21 August 2025, stayed the state government's order cancelling appointments made through the 11th to 13th Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) examinations, delivering a significant legal setback to the Hemant Soren-led administration. The ruling came days after the government issued a notification on 18 August scrapping 22 recruitment examinations, including the contentious JPSC rounds, amid weeks of student protests over alleged irregularities.
BJP's Criticism of the Jharkhand Government
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) moved quickly to capitalise on the court's intervention. BJP spokesperson Sandeep Verma said the government had never intended to resolve the issue transparently. 'The government's intention from the very beginning was to keep the entire matter complicated. If the government's intention had been even a little clear, complaints regarding the investigation and alleged irregularities had been received for a long time, they should have got the matter investigated earlier, and we would not have had to face this situation,' Verma said.
BJP chief spokesperson Pratul Shah Deo warned against underestimating student mobilisation. 'Student and youth power is a very strong force; they are the fuel of the country. If you cheat or conspire against them, they come out onto the streets, and even the foundations of big governments and dictators can shake,' he said. Deo alleged that the government knew the cancellation order would not survive judicial scrutiny.
What Led to the Cancellation Order
The Jharkhand government had, on 18 August, issued a notification cancelling 22 recruitment examinations, including the 11th, 12th, and 13th JPSC examinations, along with related appointments. The move followed sustained public protests over alleged irregularities in the selection process. Critics, however, argued that the sweeping cancellation — affecting recruited government employees already in service — was hasty and legally untenable.
Ruling Party and Opposition Reactions
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) spokesperson Manoj Pandey defended the government's conduct, noting that citizens are free to protest in a democracy but must act with discretion. 'The government did what it was supposed to do. It is not appropriate to comment in any way on an order of the court,' he said.
Congress leader Udit Raj struck a cautious note, saying the matter was complicated and required careful consideration. 'We also have to ensure that no one is subjected to injustice and that only those who have committed wrongdoing are targeted,' he said. Congress media in-charge Rakesh Sinha added that the court had granted 15 days for further proceedings and that the issues flagged by the court would be examined point by point.
Separately, Bihar Minister Ashok Choudhary declined to comment substantively, saying the High Court would examine the legal merits independently.
What Happens Next
The High Court's stay means that employees appointed through the 11th to 13th JPSC cycles retain their positions for now. The next hearing is expected within 15 days, during which the court will scrutinise the legal basis for the government's cancellation order. The outcome could have significant implications for hundreds of recruited government employees and thousands of aspirants who participated in the examinations.