Andrew McDonald warns against rushed Australia Test shake-up after Bangladesh loss
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Australia head coach Andrew McDonald has urged restraint over calls to overhaul the Test squad following the side's historic defeat to Bangladesh in the first Test at Darwin, insisting that the players under scrutiny still have a 'fair bit of cricket left in them'. The loss — Australia's first-ever home Test defeat to Bangladesh — has intensified debate around the team's batting order, particularly the futures of opener Jake Weatherland and No.3 Marnus Labuschagne.
The Pressure on Australia's Batting Order
The Darwin defeat on Sunday prompted immediate calls for structural change, with former Australia captain Ricky Ponting among the most prominent voices demanding 'regeneration' at the top of the order. Both Weatherland and Labuschagne have faced sharp public criticism for their contributions in the match, with Labuschagne managing only 31 runs in the second innings.
This is not the first time Labuschagne has faced a selection crisis — he was dropped from the Australian side last year against the West Indies and instructed to remodel his batting technique. His recall has been closely watched, and the Darwin performance has renewed questions about whether those adjustments have taken hold under pressure.
What McDonald Said
Speaking to cricket.com.au, McDonald pushed back firmly against knee-jerk selection decisions. 'It's always going to be a conversation, the age profile of the team, where we're at, how we're travelling. A loss doesn't help that,' he said. 'But these players have got a fair bit of cricket left in them, I believe.'
McDonald acknowledged the emotional weight of a Test defeat but cautioned against letting that drive selection. 'There's always going to be calls for change on the back of a loss. There's going to be an emotion around that from the outside — and even internally. Our guys sit in that change room, and they're feeling it. You feel a Test loss. It means a lot to them to play for Australia, so let's not lose that in all this as well,' he said.
He also noted that calls for change are a constant in Australian cricket, regardless of results. 'The easy option is to call for change. A lot of people call for change even when we're winning. They're entitled to do that as well on the back of a performance like that. Why wouldn't they? That's part of our lot,' McDonald said.
Selection Process for the Second Test
McDonald confirmed that the selection panel will approach the second Test in Mackay, beginning 22 August, through its standard process rather than reacting emotionally to the defeat. 'I don't think it's going to be like, we've lost this Test match, so then suddenly it's immediately we shift things. We will work through exactly what we normally work through to come to a conclusion for the best XI,' he said.
He did, however, hint at a broader review of the playing group, framing any potential change as a performance-based calculation rather than a punitive response. 'If change was to be a part of that, it would be us deciding that the team would be better with someone else in there,' he added.
Labuschagne Under the Microscope
McDonald gave a nuanced assessment of Labuschagne's second-innings knock of 31, acknowledging the shortfall while pointing to positive technical signs. 'Up until the point he got out, you'd sit there and say he was looking good. He was moving well, he's clipping off his pads, he was getting back through the ball down the ground. So it's easy for me to sit here and try to defend that, but ultimately it's 31. It's not a big score. He's lacked runs. He feels that. We feel that,' McDonald said.
The coach expressed satisfaction that technical changes Labuschagne had worked on appeared to hold up under match pressure. 'You can try to make these changes, and then when you get put under extreme pressure in the middle, sometimes those changes don't hold. So it was good to see them hold up. But it is 31. He's disappointed with that missed opportunity. He needs some big runs,' McDonald said.
With the series level at 0-1 and the second Test days away, the pressure on Australia's coaching staff and selectors to find answers — without abandoning experienced players — is set to define the coming week.