Somalia piracy: 22 Indian seafarers safe after two ships hijacked
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The High Commission of India in Kenya on Friday, 21 August confirmed that all 22 Indian seafarers aboard two foreign-flagged vessels — MT Sibu and MV Lutuf — are reportedly safe following their seizure by pirates off the coast of Somalia. The Indian government has engaged relevant authorities in Somalia and is closely monitoring the situation.
What Happened at Sea
The Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker MT Sibu 1, carrying 20 crew members including 16 Indian nationals, one Syrian, one Sudanese, and one Iraqi, was reportedly seized on Thursday by six armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden, approximately 30 nautical miles off the coast of Yemen. Separately, the Cameroon-flagged vessel MV Lutuf, with 10 sailors on board — including six Indians — was seized off the coast of Somalia's Puntland region.
What the Indian Mission Said
The Indian High Commission in Kenya stated on X: 'We have taken up the matter of Indian seafarers on board vessels MT Sibu (Eritrea-flagged) and MV Lutuf (Cameroon-flagged) with the concerned authorities in Somalia. It is understood that there are reportedly 16 Indian seafarers onboard MT Sibu and 6 Indian seafarers onboard MV Lutuf. All Indian seafarers are reportedly safe. We attach the highest importance to the safety and welfare of the Indian seafaring community.'
Ministry of External Affairs Steps In
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal addressed the issue during a bi-weekly media briefing in New Delhi on Friday, confirming that the government is in active contact with relevant authorities. 'These are two ships flagged abroad, meaning they are flying the flag of another country. There are 22 Indian citizens on board — 16 on one ship and six on the other. So far, we have learnt that all 22 of our citizens on board are safe. We are in touch with the relevant authorities on this matter so that we can ensure the safety and well-being of our people,' Jaiswal said.
India's Broader Maritime Security Stance
The MEA reiterated that India treats the safety and security of its vessels and seafarers as a matter of high priority, with Indian missions maintaining constant contact with the Ministry of Shipping and maritime authorities in relevant countries. This comes amid a broader pattern of piracy resurgence in the Gulf of Aden and off Somalia's coastline, a region that had seen a sharp decline in incidents after international naval patrols intensified in the early 2010s but has witnessed renewed activity in recent years. The Indian Navy has previously conducted evacuation and escort operations in the region.
What Happens Next
Indian officials have not yet disclosed whether any naval assets have been deployed or whether negotiations are under way for the release of the vessels. The safety status of the non-Indian crew members aboard both ships also remains a matter of concern. As diplomatic efforts continue, the 22 Indian seafarers are reportedly unharmed, and the government has pledged to provide any support required.