Gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border kills over 100 miners

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
Gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border kills over 100 miners

Synopsis

A gold mine collapse at Zamboye on the Cameroon-CAR border has killed more than 100 people, with local media reporting 107 bodies recovered and CAR's mines minister officially confirming 49 deaths — including nationals from three countries. The gap between official and on-ground figures, combined with active rescue operations, suggests the final toll could rise further.

Key Takeaways

A gold mine collapsed at Zamboye on the Cameroon-CAR border on Tuesday, 20 August , at approximately 2:00 p.m. local time .
Cameroon's state broadcaster CRTV reported over 100 deaths; local outlets cited 107 bodies recovered.
CAR Minister of Mines Rufin Benam-Beltoungou officially confirmed 49 deaths — 34 CAR nationals , 13 Cameroonians , and 2 Chadians — after visiting the site on Wednesday.
The minister ordered the mine temporarily closed and noted managers acknowledged 'indiscipline of the miners.' Rescue teams were still working to reach miners believed to be trapped underground as of the latest reports.
The disaster follows a separate gold mine collapse in Narok County, Kenya in July 2025 that killed five miners .

More than 100 miners were killed on Tuesday, 20 August after a gold mine caved in at Zamboye, a border village straddling Cameroon and the Central African Republic (CAR), according to Cameroonian officials and local media. The collapse, which occurred around 2:00 p.m. local time, is one of the deadliest mining disasters in the region in recent memory.

What Happened at Zamboye

Gregoire Mvongo, Governor of Cameroon's East Region, confirmed the collapse in a phone statement, noting that while Zamboye is a border village, the mine itself caved in on the CAR side. 'Zamboye is a border village, but the mine collapsed on the CAR side. About three to five Cameroonians died. We are doing everything possible to rescue victims,' Mvongo said.

Cameroon's state broadcaster CRTV reported the death toll at over 100. Other local outlets indicated that 107 bodies had already been recovered from the debris as of the latest reports.

CAR Minister Confirms 49 Deaths, Orders Closure

Rufin Benam-Beltoungou, CAR's Minister of Mines and Geology, offered a lower but officially confirmed count after visiting the site on Wednesday. 'We visited the site where the tragedy occurred. We counted 49 deaths, including 34 CAR nationals, 13 Cameroonians, and two Chadians. In a meeting we held, some managers acknowledged the indiscipline of the miners,' Benam-Beltoungou told reporters.

He subsequently ordered the mine to be temporarily closed. The discrepancy between the CAR government's figure of 49 and the 107 bodies reported by local Cameroonian media has not yet been officially reconciled, and rescue teams were still working to reach miners believed to be trapped underground.

Community in Shock

Oriegene Dokna, a Cameroonian resident near the site, described the human toll on surrounding communities. 'We are shocked by the tragedy. Families have been mourning since yesterday. It is a difficult situation to accept,' Dokna said.

The Zamboye area is known for artisanal and small-scale gold mining activity, which often draws workers from multiple countries across the region. The involvement of nationals from at least three countries — CAR, Cameroon, and Chad — underscores the cross-border nature of informal mining operations in Central Africa.

A Pattern of Fatal Mining Accidents in Africa

The Zamboye disaster is not an isolated incident. In July 2025, five miners were killed after a gold mine collapsed in Narok County in southwestern Kenya. The site, Kilimapesa — located approximately 180 km south of Narok Town and home to Kenya's largest commercial gold mining operation — was among several Kenyan mines flagged for safety concerns. Authorities noted that Kenya's gold mining sector has been plagued by fatal accidents in recent years, raising broader questions about regulatory oversight across the continent.

As rescue operations at Zamboye continue, the disaster is likely to intensify calls for stronger safety enforcement and cross-border coordination in Central Africa's largely unregulated artisanal mining zones.

Point of View

The absence of a unified regulatory authority means casualty figures are contested, rescue coordination is fragmented, and accountability is diffuse. The CAR minister's own remark about 'indiscipline of the miners' risks deflecting scrutiny from the structural failures: informal mines in this region routinely operate without adequate shoring, ventilation, or emergency protocols. Back-to-back disasters in Zamboye and Kenya's Narok County within weeks of each other should trigger a continental conversation about artisanal mining safety — one that has been deferred too many times already.
NationPress
21 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened at the Zamboye gold mine on the Cameroon-CAR border?
A gold mine collapsed at Zamboye, a border village between Cameroon and the Central African Republic, on Tuesday, 20 August, at around 2:00 p.m. local time. More than 100 miners are reported killed, with rescue operations still ongoing for those believed trapped underground.
How many people have been confirmed dead in the Zamboye mine collapse?
CAR's Minister of Mines Rufin Benam-Beltoungou officially confirmed 49 deaths after visiting the site — comprising 34 CAR nationals, 13 Cameroonians, and 2 Chadians. However, Cameroon's state broadcaster CRTV and local media reported over 100 deaths, with 107 bodies said to have been recovered, and the figures have not been officially reconciled.
Which nationalities were among the victims?
Victims included nationals from at least three countries: the Central African Republic, Cameroon, and Chad, reflecting the cross-border nature of artisanal gold mining activity in the Zamboye area.
What action has the CAR government taken following the collapse?
CAR's Minister of Mines and Geology Rufin Benam-Beltoungou visited the site on Wednesday and ordered the mine to be temporarily closed. He also noted that mine managers had acknowledged what he described as 'indiscipline of the miners.'
Is this part of a wider pattern of mining accidents in Africa?
Yes. In July 2025, five miners were killed in a separate gold mine collapse at Kilimapesa in Narok County, southwestern Kenya — home to Kenya's largest commercial gold mining operation. Authorities have flagged persistent safety failures across the continent's gold mining sector.
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 4 weeks ago
  2. 2 months ago
  3. 2 months ago
  4. 1 year ago
  5. 1 year ago
  6. 1 year ago
  7. 1 year ago
  8. 1 year ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google