Karnataka BJP to escalate Valmiki Corporation scam protest; march to statue Friday
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The Karnataka Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday, 20 August announced a sharp escalation of its agitation over the alleged Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation scam, with Leader of Opposition R. Ashoka declaring that the party would launch a fresh protest from Friday near the Valmiki statue in Bengaluru. The announcement came after four consecutive days of Opposition disruptions in the Karnataka Assembly, where BJP legislators have been demanding the resignation of Minister B. Nagendra.
Key Developments
Speaking to reporters after staging a demonstration against Nagendra at Vidhana Soudha, Ashoka accused the state government of deliberately stalling Assembly proceedings to shield one minister. He alleged that ₹189 crore earmarked for the welfare of Scheduled Tribe communities had been misappropriated, and said the BJP would not relent until the government was removed.
'This government has created a situation where the House cannot function for the sake of one minister. We will not stop until this government is removed. We will begin our protest from the Valmiki statue tomorrow,' Ashoka said.
Beyond the Valmiki Corporation case, Ashoka said the Opposition also wanted to raise issues including the NICE project, the Bidadi land acquisition, drought relief, KPSC irregularities, and ration card anomalies — all of which he alleged the ruling side was blocking from discussion.
What the BJP Alleged Against Nagendra
BJP MLC C.T. Ravi, addressing reporters at the party's Vidhana Soudha office, demanded Nagendra's immediate resignation, arguing that his return to the Cabinet was constitutionally untenable while the Valmiki Corporation case remained under active investigation.
Ravi alleged that Nagendra had played a direct role in the diversion of funds to fictitious bank accounts, and that oral instructions from the minister — who was then in charge of the corporation — were central to the alleged irregularities. He further alleged that meetings were held at a hotel in Bengaluru, after which instructions were issued for fund transfers to multiple accounts. Ravi also claimed that an interim report had named one Nagaraj, allegedly Nagendra's personal assistant, as a co-accused.
Ravi referenced the death note left by Valmiki Corporation official Chandrashekhar, alleging it named several individuals linked to the irregularities. He also alleged that misappropriated funds were routed to businesses including luxury car showrooms, bars, and jewellery stores.
On Bail and Constitutional Grounds
Ravi was pointed in distinguishing between bail and acquittal. 'Getting bail does not mean getting a clean chit. The court has not acquitted him,' he said, adding that the BJP's demand rested on constitutional principles rather than political rivalry. He also pushed back against Nagendra's reported claim that he was being targeted on caste lines: 'Corruption has no caste. The money that was allegedly misappropriated belonged to the Scheduled Tribes and was meant for their welfare.'
According to Ashoka, there are 31 cases against Nagendra, including those filed by the Lokayukta, and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has filed charge sheets in three of them, with Nagendra named as the primary accused in each.
Government Position and What Comes Next
The Congress-led state government, headed by Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar, had not responded to the BJP's latest allegations at the time of reporting. The BJP has vowed to continue its agitation until Nagendra steps down, and the protest near the Valmiki statue on Friday is expected to draw significant participation. With the Assembly session ongoing and Opposition pressure mounting, the coming days will test whether the government moves to defuse the standoff or holds its position.