Tripura govt to absorb 100% power tariff hike via subsidy for 10 lakh consumers
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
The Tripura state Cabinet has decided to bear 100 per cent of the enhanced electricity tariff approved by the Tripura Electricity Regulatory Commission (TERC), Chief Minister Manik Saha announced on Friday, 21 August. The full subsidy, effective from May 2026, will shield nearly 10 lakh electricity consumers across the state from the impact of the revised tariff under the new 2026-27 tariff regime.
Who Benefits and Who Doesn't
The subsidy covers a broad range of consumer categories — domestic households, small, medium and large businesses, traders, farmers, and industries. However, railway traction is explicitly excluded from the full relief. For institutions such as defence installations, Railways, All India Radio, and Doordarshan, the state government will absorb 15 per cent of the increased tariff rather than the full amount.
Relief for Consumers Who Already Paid Higher Bills
Consumers who have already remitted electricity bills at the new, higher rates will not be left out. The excess amounts paid will be adjusted in a phased manner across the next three months — September, October, and November — through deductions in subsequent bills. Chief Minister Saha said the move is intended to ensure that no consumer is adversely affected by the tariff revision.
Total Subsidy Outlay
Tripura Power Minister Ratan Lal Nath said the state government will provide a total subsidy of ₹194.70 crore this year, which includes a previously disbursed subsidy of ₹77.57 crore. Nath also noted that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in Tripura had imposed no additional tariff on consumers between 2019 and 2023.
Political Context and Opposition Pressure
The Cabinet decision comes amid sustained agitations by opposition parties, including the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) and the Congress, who had organised protest rallies across the state over the past two months against the steep rise in power tariffs. A sharp increase in fixed charges had triggered widespread public concern. Critics from the Left and other opposition groups had demanded immediate relief, keeping the political pressure on the ruling BJP government. This announcement is widely seen as a direct response to that pressure.
What Happens Next
The phased bill adjustment for consumers who overpaid will begin in September 2026 and conclude by November 2026. The broader subsidy framework under the new tariff regime will remain operative through the 2026-27 financial year. Whether the government sustains this subsidy beyond the current fiscal year — amid fiscal pressures on a smaller state — remains to be seen.