Rijiju: Opposition vents poll-loss frustration in Parliament
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday, 19 August said the Opposition is acting out of diminished confidence following a string of electoral setbacks, and is channelling that frustration into disruptions on the floor of Parliament. His remarks directly addressed the conduct of INDIA bloc members during the recently concluded Monsoon session.
Rijiju's Core Charge
Speaking in an exclusive interview, Rijiju said, 'The Opposition is currently somewhat fragmented and lacks confidence. When they fail to win elections, they vent their frustration in Parliament.' The minister framed the repeated disruptions not as principled dissent but as a symptom of political demoralisation within the bloc.
Rahul Gandhi Singled Out
Rijiju went further, placing direct responsibility on Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi, asserting that the disruptions could have been avoided had Gandhi chosen to intervene. 'I have met Rahul Gandhi and also spoken to him on the phone. I respect him a lot because he is the Leader of the Opposition and a senior leader. However, our efforts towards smooth functioning of the Parliament were not successful,' Rijiju said. He added, 'Everyone knows that if Rahul Gandhi wanted, the Congress MPs would not resort to abuses, sloganeering, and ruckus during the House proceedings. Rahul Gandhi is the only leader in the Congress who can correct the behaviour of his MPs.'
The Amit Shah Absence Row
The minister also pushed back against Opposition claims that Home Minister Amit Shah was absent from House proceedings during the Monsoon session. Rijiju maintained that Shah was present on Parliament premises each day from morning till evening, but could not participate amid the continuous ruckus created by Opposition members. 'He cannot really go amid the ruckus, can he? They are just resorting to spreading rumours,' Rijiju said, dismissing the Opposition's statements as baseless.
Broader Context
The Monsoon session of Parliament was marked by repeated adjournments and walkouts, with the INDIA bloc pressing the government on several contentious issues. This is not the first time the ruling dispensation has accused the Opposition of deliberate obstructionism — similar charges were traded during the Budget session earlier this year. Critics from the Opposition, however, argue that disruptions are often the only recourse available when the government refuses to allow substantive debate on key issues.
What Comes Next
With the Winter session of Parliament still months away, both sides appear entrenched in their positions. Whether the INDIA bloc recalibrates its parliamentary strategy — or doubles down — will be closely watched, particularly as several state elections loom on the horizon.