Kim Yo-jong mocks Seoul over scaled-down Ulchi Freedom Shield drills

Share:
Audio Loading voice…
Kim Yo-jong mocks Seoul over scaled-down Ulchi Freedom Shield drills

Synopsis

Kim Yo-jong turned the Trump-ordered scale-down of the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise into a propaganda opportunity, mocking Seoul’s dependence on Washington and targeting President Lee Jae Myung’s dual messaging. The same day, North Korea launched roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles — a pointed reminder that Pyongyang is calibrating its provocations to exploit every crack in the US-South Korea alliance.

Key Takeaways

Kim Yo-jong issued a statement on 20 August mocking Seoul over the US-ordered reduction of the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise.
President Trump ordered the scale-down of the annual joint drills without prior discussion with South Korea, according to reports.
Kim called the reduction “an evident disaster” for South Korea and accused Seoul of blind dependence on Washington.
She also targeted President Lee Jae Myung for what she called “double-dealing remarks” on the drill scale-down and independent military buildup.
North Korea fired roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles from the Pyongyang area toward the East Sea at around 5 pm on the same day.
The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed heightened surveillance and close coordination with the US and Japan .

Kim Yo-jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, on Thursday, 20 August issued a sharp statement ridiculing South Korea after US President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in the scale of the ongoing Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) joint military exercise. Kim said the move had placed Seoul “in a poor plight of cancelling ‘war games’ it liked very much.”

What Kim Yo-jong Said

In her statement, Kim Yo-jong targeted both Washington and Seoul with pointed language. “Trump issued a sudden order to reduce the scale of the drill. This has placed Seoul in a poor plight of cancelling ‘war games’ it liked very much,” she said.

She also took aim at South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, accusing him of “double-dealing remarks” — a reference to Lee’s simultaneous endorsement of the scale-down and his pledge for the “independent buildup of military capabilities.” Kim characterised this as a sign of “uneasiness and impatience” in Seoul.

Kim described the reduced exercise as “an evident disaster” for South Korean authorities, whom she accused of being “blinded by their firm belief in the US master.” She added: “The world witnesses that the US security aids are no longer free of charge. The whole territory of the ROK would be insufficient to gain favour with the cruel master.”

The Ulchi Freedom Shield Exercise

The Ulchi Freedom Shield is an annual summertime combined military exercise conducted by South Korea and the United States. This year’s edition was scaled down following a direct order from President Trump, with no prior discussion with Seoul, according to reports. Kim called it “the first ‘trouble’ to the ROK, unprecedented in the history of US-ROK joint military exercises,” noting that the drills had never before been reduced “to become coreless after its kick-off” without advance consultation.

North Korea Fires Ballistic Missiles

Earlier on the same day, North Korea fired a barrage of short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea. The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles launched from the Pyongyang area at around 5 pm, with further analysis under way in cooperation with the United States.

The JCS confirmed that the South Korean military had stepped up surveillance and vigilance for possible additional launches, closely sharing information with the US and Japan. “Under a staunch South Korea-US combined defence posture, our military is closely monitoring various North Korean activities as we maintain the capability and readiness to overwhelmingly respond to any provocation,” the JCS said.

Broader Context

This comes amid a shifting dynamic in the US-South Korea alliance under the Trump administration, which has signalled a transactional approach to defence commitments. The scaling down of the UFS exercise — without prior consultation — marks a notable departure from decades of alliance protocol. North Korea has historically used joint US-South Korea drills as a pretext for weapons tests and provocative statements, but Kim Yo-jong’s remarks this time are notably directed at fracturing Seoul-Washington trust rather than simply condemning the exercises themselves. The simultaneous missile launches underscore that Pyongyang is watching — and signalling — closely.

Point of View

A coordinated signal that North Korea intends to press every opening the Washington-Seoul friction creates. For South Korea, the deeper problem is not the scale of one exercise — it is the credibility of extended deterrence when the guarantor can change the terms without notice.
NationPress
20 Aug 2026

Frequently Asked Questions

What did Kim Yo-jong say about the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise?
Kim Yo-jong said that Trump’s sudden order to reduce the scale of the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise had placed Seoul ‘in a poor plight of cancelling war games it liked very much.’ She called the scale-down an ‘evident disaster’ for South Korean authorities and accused Seoul of over-dependence on Washington.
Why was the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise scaled down?
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was scaled down following a direct order from US President Donald Trump, reportedly issued without prior consultation with South Korea. It is an annual combined military exercise held each summer between the US and South Korean militaries.
What missiles did North Korea fire on 20 August?
North Korea fired roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles from the Pyongyang area toward the East Sea at around 5 pm on 20 August. The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed the launches and said analysis was under way in cooperation with the United States.
How did South Korea respond to the missile launches?
The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said the military had stepped up surveillance and vigilance, was closely sharing information with the US and Japan, and maintained full readiness to respond to any provocation.
What did Kim Yo-jong say about South Korean President Lee Jae Myung?
Kim Yo-jong accused President Lee Jae Myung of ‘double-dealing remarks,’ pointing to his simultaneous endorsement of the exercise scale-down and his pledge for an independent military buildup. She said this reflected South Korea’s ‘uneasiness and impatience.’
Nation Press
The Trail

Connected Dots

Tracing the thread behind this story — newest first.

8 Dots
  1. Latest 3 hours ago
  2. 9 hours ago
  3. Yesterday
  4. 3 days ago
  5. 3 days ago
  6. 1 week ago
  7. 1 year ago
  8. 1 year ago
Google Prefer NP
On Google