South Korea's Lee respects Trump's move to scale back US-South Korea drills for North Korea talks
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung on Wednesday, 20 August expressed respect for US President Donald Trump's decision to scale back joint South Korea-US military exercises, framing it as a meaningful step toward creating conditions for dialogue on the Korean Peninsula. Lee made the remarks in a post on his official X account, hours after both allies confirmed that the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise had been cut short on Trump's orders.
What Lee Said
In his post, Lee described Trump's move as 'a big decision reflecting the serious thought he put into creating peace beyond hostility and confrontation on the Korean Peninsula.' He went on to state that South Korea shares Trump's commitment to building conditions for dialogue, even if that means reducing combined field training. 'We express our respect for that decision,' Lee wrote.
Lee also expressed hope that Trump's step would ultimately lead to a stable peace regime on the peninsula through confidence-building and a resumption of direct dialogue between Washington and Pyongyang.
The 'Pacemaker' Pledge
Lee vowed to fulfil his role as a 'pacemaker' — a term he first proposed during his initial summit with Trump — in support of Trump's broader 'peacemaker' ambitions on the peninsula. The framing signals Seoul's intent to position itself as an active facilitator rather than a passive observer in any renewed US-North Korea engagement.
The Iran Dimension
Trump's decision to curtail the exercises has been interpreted by some analysts as partly linked to what he reportedly perceives as Seoul's reluctance to support US efforts against Iran. In a social media post on Sunday, Trump said he had asked Lee whether South Korea would join efforts to denuclearise Iran and was told, 'No thanks.'
Lee appeared to respond to that characterisation in his X post, stating that the South Korean government has 'repeatedly' declared its intention to actively participate in international efforts to restore free passage through the Strait of Hormuz. He added that Seoul would continue to communicate closely with Washington on 'various substantive ways' it can contribute within the bounds of South Korean law and basic policy.
Background: Ulchi Freedom Shield and the Scaling Back
The Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of the largest annual joint military exercises conducted by the US and South Korea, designed to bolster combined readiness against potential threats from the North. Trump's instruction to 'substantially reduce' the exercises — which he described in his Sunday post as sending a 'totally inappropriate and hostile' signal to North Korea — marks a notable shift in alliance posture. It echoes his first-term approach, when he similarly suspended major drills during the 2018–2019 US-North Korea diplomatic engagement.
Lee closed his post by expressing a desire to meet Trump again 'in the United States in the near future,' signalling that a bilateral summit may be in the works as both sides navigate the delicate diplomacy ahead.