North Korea slams Japan's record ¥8.9 trillion defence budget as 'war preparation'
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
North Korea on Saturday sharply condemned Japan's plan to submit a record-high defence budget request for the next fiscal year, warning that the move amounts to preparation for a 'war of aggression' and threatening to 'counterattack thoroughly' with collective strength. The statement marks one of Pyongyang's most pointed responses yet to Tokyo's ongoing military expansion.
The Budget That Triggered the Condemnation
Japan's defence ministry on Wednesday filed a budget request of ¥8.9 trillion (approximately US$60 billion) for the next fiscal year — a record figure that is expected to climb further to around ¥10 trillion once the final budget is approved at the end of the year. The request reflects Tokyo's accelerating push to double its defence spending as part of a broader national security overhaul.
What North Korea Said
The condemnation was carried by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), citing a commentary published in Rodong Sinmun, the most widely circulated newspaper in North Korea. 'The expansion of the war budget is a dangerous move that brings new turmoil to the region and the world,' the commentary stated.
The piece went further, asserting: 'There can be no doubt that the massive increase in military spending will lead to an arms buildup aimed at completing preparations for a war of aggression.' It claimed the international community 'will never tolerate the military buildup of the descendants of a war-criminal state and will thoroughly counter it with united strength.'
KCNA also took aim at Japan's acquisition of US-made Tomahawk missiles, framing it as evidence of offensive intent. Notably, the commentary pointed to Japan's national debt — which stood at a record ¥1,343 trillion at the end of last year — to argue that the defence surge constitutes a misuse of public funds. 'It is crystal clear that the purpose of squandering massive amounts of taxpayers' money is by no means to build a peaceful state,' KCNA said.
Context and Regional Significance
Japan's defence expansion has been a recurring flashpoint in Northeast Asia. Tokyo has framed its military buildup as a response to threats from North Korea and China, citing Pyongyang's accelerating missile programme and Beijing's growing assertiveness in the Taiwan Strait and the South China Sea. Critics within Japan and across the region, however, argue that the pace of militarisation risks destabilising an already tense security environment.
This is not the first time North Korea has condemned Japan's defence posture. Pyongyang has consistently objected to what it describes as a revival of Japanese militarism, invoking the legacy of World War II — during which Japan colonised the Korean peninsula — to delegitimise Tokyo's security ambitions.
What Comes Next
Japan's final defence budget is expected to be formalised by the end of the calendar year. Whether the figure reaches or exceeds the projected ¥10 trillion threshold will be closely watched by governments across the region. North Korea's threat to 'counterattack thoroughly' is consistent with its established rhetorical posture, though analysts caution against reading it as an imminent operational signal. The exchange underscores the deepening fault lines in Northeast Asian security ahead of a period of heightened geopolitical uncertainty.