Pezeshkian: Iran in 'position of strength', better to end war now
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Friday, 21 August declared that it is better to end the ongoing conflict now, asserting that Iran stands in a position of “power and dignity” and that the world acknowledges its victory. The remarks came at the 31st General Assembly of the Islamic Association of the Iranian Medical Society in Tehran, and were published on his office’s official website.
Pezeshkian’s Key Remarks
“It is better that we end the war today when we are in a position of power and dignity, and the entire world acknowledges our victory and emphasises that the United States, in violation of all (international) regulations, has attacked our schools, hospitals, and infrastructure, and is hated in the world,” Pezeshkian said.
The president described the peace memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between Iran and the United States in June as “honourable and valuable,” stressing that not a single provision of the agreement implies surrender and that all obligations rest with the other party.
The Iran-US Peace MoU: What Was Agreed
On 18 June, Iran and the United States signed the MoU to end their conflict across all fronts in the region. Under its terms, the two sides were to hold formal negotiations within 60 days — a window that closed on Monday — with the goal of reaching a final agreement. However, the ultimate fate of those talks remains unclear following an escalation between the two countries last month.
Pezeshkian noted that what was achieved during the US negotiations represented a “great achievement,” one that was approved with “unity and solidarity” in Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, with all council members reportedly defending it decisively.
Iran Will Not Surrender If Attacked Again
Despite his call to end the war, Pezeshkian was unequivocal about Iran’s posture if hostilities resume. “We will under no circumstance bow to bullying, and there is no doubt about it,” he said, adding: “We will stand against them until our last breath and will give them a crushing response.”
He further stated that Iran’s military commanders and armed forces are “wholeheartedly and selflessly” in full readiness to defend the country — a signal that the diplomatic opening is not being read in Tehran as a sign of weakness.
What Comes Next
With the 60-day negotiation window now elapsed and no final agreement in place, the trajectory of Iran-US relations enters a critical and uncertain phase. Analysts will be watching whether both sides re-engage formally or whether last month’s escalation hardens into a prolonged stalemate. Pezeshkian’s speech, notably delivered to a domestic professional audience rather than a diplomatic forum, appears calibrated to reassure Iranians that the MoU was a strategic gain, not a concession.