Iran's Pezeshkian: US nuclear talks are not surrender, Iran negotiates from strength
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Wednesday, 20 August declared that engaging in negotiations with the United States does not constitute surrender, asserting that Tehran is advancing through diplomatic talks from a position of power. Speaking at a conference in Tehran, Pezeshkian's remarks came as US-Iran tensions escalated sharply following the expiry of a 60-day negotiating window under a joint memorandum of understanding.
Pezeshkian's Position on Negotiations
Addressing the conference, Pezeshkian stressed the imperative of defending Iran's territorial integrity, according to a statement published on his office's official website. 'In the process of negotiations, we are moving forward step by step at the height of our power and while maintaining wisdom, dignity and expediency,' he said.
The Iranian president outlined Tehran's core negotiating objectives: ending the ongoing war, lifting what he described as an anti-Iran naval blockade, securing the release of Iran's frozen assets, and subsequently pursuing nuclear talks. This sequencing signals that Tehran views sanctions relief and asset recovery as preconditions before any substantive nuclear agreement can be reached.
Trump Halts Talks, Then Announces Economic Operation
The backdrop to Pezeshkian's remarks is a rapidly shifting American posture. US President Donald Trump reportedly directed senior administration envoys to pause their conversations with Iran on Tuesday, according to local media reports citing a US official. Hours later on Wednesday, Trump announced what he described as a 'crushing economic operation' against Iran — a striking reversal from his earlier statement the same day that the situation with Iran was 'so good.'
This comes amid the expiry of the 60-day negotiating period stipulated under the memorandum of understanding signed by Tehran and Washington on 18 June to end the war on all fronts. How the two sides proceed from here remains unclear, with tensions having escalated significantly in the weeks leading up to the deadline.
Iran's Parliament Moves to Control Strait of Hormuz
Separately, a senior Iranian lawmaker revealed on Wednesday that a draft plan under parliamentary review would restrict passage through the Strait of Hormuz for vessels deemed hostile or engaged in espionage activities. Ebrahim Rezaei, a member of parliament's national security and foreign policy committee, disclosed the plan's contours in an interview with state broadcaster IRIB TV.
According to Rezaei, the draft stipulates that vessels considered hostile or involved in espionage threatening Iran's national security would be barred from transiting the strategically vital waterway. Israeli military and civilian vessels would also be prohibited, with enforcement placed under the supervision of Iran's General Staff of the Armed Forces.
The plan also includes provisions for levying passage fees in the Iranian rial or other currencies, and imposes penalties — including cargo confiscation and higher tariffs — against governments that adopt hostile positions toward Tehran. 'If someone in another part of the world harms Iran's interests or our citizens, we will deal with that government in the Strait of Hormuz,' Rezaei said.
Why the Strait of Hormuz Matters
Rezaei attributed the push for tighter Hormuz controls to US and Israeli strikes against Iran, framing the waterway as a critical national security asset. The parliamentary committee approved the general outlines of the plan earlier this month, according to Iran's official news agency IRNA. Roughly 20% of global oil supplies transit the strait, making any restriction a matter of international economic consequence. The plan, if enacted, would mark one of the most significant unilateral moves by Tehran to assert control over the passage in recent memory.
What Comes Next
With the MoU's negotiating window closed and Washington's posture hardening, the immediate path forward for US-Iran diplomacy is uncertain. Tehran's dual-track approach — asserting strength at the negotiating table while advancing domestic legislation to tighten Hormuz access — suggests Iran is preparing for multiple contingencies simultaneously. International observers and energy markets will be watching closely for any further escalation.