Tejashwi Yadav slams Bihar liquor ban as 'complete failure', targets govt on paper leaks
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) Working President and Bihar Leader of Opposition Tejashwi Yadav on Sunday, 17 August launched a multi-front offensive against the Bihar state government, calling the decade-old liquor prohibition policy a 'complete failure' and accusing the ruling dispensation of enabling a large bootlegging racket. Yadav made the remarks at Patna Airport shortly after returning from Delhi.
Liquor Ban Under Fire
Tejashwi alleged that despite 10 years of prohibition in Bihar, liquor from multiple brands was still being delivered directly to people's homes, pointing to what he described as the involvement of those in power in sustaining the racket. When asked whether the ban should be reviewed, he deflected the question to Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary, putting the onus on the ruling side to defend its own policy.
This comes amid long-standing criticism of Bihar's prohibition law, which has faced repeated legal and implementation challenges since its introduction. Notably, deaths from spurious liquor consumption have surfaced periodically across the state even as the ban remains in force.
Paper Leaks and Examination Integrity
Tejashwi trained his sharpest criticism on the state's examination system, alleging that Bihar was fast becoming the 'capital of paper leaks'. He claimed that recruitment examinations had been repeatedly compromised, denying students a fair selection process. He also questioned the state's education system and raised concerns over the alleged use of force against student protesters.
His remarks connect to a broader national debate around examination integrity, particularly following the NEET controversy. Tejashwi demanded that Prime Minister Narendra Modi clarify the Union government's response to the NEET paper leak and questioned whether the PM could guarantee leak-free NEET examinations going forward.
Siwan AK-47 Incident and Law and Order
Referring to a recent incident in Siwan involving an AK-47, Tejashwi questioned who had authorised the firing and alleged that accountability had been limited to the dismissal of a single constable. He said the RJD had previously met Bihar Director General of Police Vinay Kumar to seek accountability, but alleged that the concerned Superintendent of Police had neither been suspended nor faced any significant action.
In response, the RJD has announced a march to Raj Bhavan, Patna, on 19 August, where the party intends to meet the Governor and submit a formal memorandum covering all these grievances. Yadav appealed to citizens to participate in the march.
Attack on BJP and Modi's 'Urban Naxals' Remark
Tejashwi also took aim at Prime Minister Modi's use of the term 'Urban Naxals' during his Independence Day address at the Red Fort, calling the language inappropriate for a Prime Minister and drawing a comparison with protesting farmers and students. He demanded an apology to students and said such rhetoric criminalised legitimate dissent.
On employment, he alleged that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had promised one crore jobs but had failed to deliver even a fraction of that figure, framing it as a pattern of unfulfilled electoral commitments.
What Comes Next
The RJD's Raj Bhavan march on 19 August is set to sharpen the political confrontation in Bihar ahead of the state's electoral cycle. With prohibition, paper leaks, law and order, and employment all on the agenda, the opposition appears to be building a consolidated anti-incumbency narrative targeting both the state government and the Centre.