Iran FM Araghchi says US 'crushing economic operation' doomed to fail
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi on 22 August declared that the latest US economic offensive against Iran will fail, just as Washington's previous coercive campaigns have, citing a pattern stretching back 14 years. The statement came hours after US President Donald Trump announced what he called 'the most crushing economic operation ever taken' against any country that provides a lifeline to Tehran.
Araghchi's Pointed Rebuttal
In a post on social media platform X, Araghchi laid out a pointed historical scorecard: '14 years ago: 'Most crippling sanctions in history.' Failed. 8 years ago: 'Maximum pressure.' Failed. 5 months ago: 'Unconditional surrender.' Failed. Today: 'Most crushing economic operation ever.' Bound to fail.' The message was a direct challenge to Washington's escalatory framing, drawing a straight line from past pressure campaigns to what Tehran views as a recurring cycle of overreach and underdelivery.
Trump's Announcement and Its Framing
President Trump unveiled the new measures on Wednesday, posting on Truth Social that this would be 'Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,' describing the move as an 'ECONOMIC D-DAY.' The announcement targets any country that continues to provide economic support to Iran, effectively broadening pressure beyond Tehran to its trading partners and allies.
Tehran's Deputy FM Weighs In
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Kazem Gharibabadi also pushed back, arguing that the United States is rebranding its pressure campaign under the label of 'economic war' to obscure earlier failures. According to reports citing Iran's official news agency, Gharibabadi noted the contradiction in Washington's position: while the US claims Iran is 'on the verge of collapse,' it is simultaneously reaching out to all its allies for assistance. 'To cover up its failure, the United States has to create an even bigger failure,' Gharibabadi said, adding that the military war had failed to deliver results and Washington was now calling the next defeat an 'economic war.'
Background: The Collapsed 60-Day Negotiation Window
The escalation follows a significant diplomatic breakdown. On 18 June, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) aimed at ending hostilities across the region, including in Lebanon. Under the MoU, both sides were to hold negotiations within a 60-day window — a deadline that expired on Monday. No final agreement was reached, and the fate of those talks remains unclear following a sharp escalation between the two countries last month.
What Comes Next
With the MoU's negotiating window now closed and both sides trading escalatory rhetoric, the diplomatic path forward is uncertain. The breadth of Trump's new measures — targeting third-party countries that trade with Iran — signals a secondary-sanctions approach that could strain US relations with allies in Asia and Europe who maintain economic ties with Tehran. Iran's consistent posture of defiance, backed by a record of outlasting prior pressure rounds, suggests a prolonged standoff rather than a quick resolution.