Trump claims Hormuz Strait as 'New US Territory' as Iran MoU collapses
Synopsis
Key Takeaways
US President Donald Trump on Tuesday, 19 August posted a map on Truth Social labelling the Strait of Hormuz as 'New US Territory', doubling down on his claim to the world's most critical oil chokepoint just a day after a US-Iran memorandum of understanding (MoU) collapsed without renewal. The escalation marks a new flashpoint in an already volatile standoff that has disrupted global energy shipping for weeks.
What Trump Said and Did
Alongside the map, Trump wrote: 'The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.' He also confirmed that the US naval blockade of Iranian ports 'remains in full force and effect.'
Multiple shipping-monitoring agencies, however, contradict that characterisation. Shipping through the Strait has not resumed anywhere near normal levels, according to those reports. On Tuesday, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency reported that a bulk carrier was struck by an unknown projectile while transiting the Strait, resulting in vessel damage and crew casualties. The UKMTO had reported a similar attack on Monday and advised vessels to 'transit with caution.'
The Iran and Oman Dimension
Iran has flatly rejected Trump's territorial claim. Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi called the seizure a 'fanciful delusion' that cannot be accomplished by a tweet. Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said the Strait would not open until Iran's conditions were met, according to Tasnim news agency.
Complicating the US position further, Iran has reportedly been close to finalising a separate deal with Oman — under which each country would control transit routes on its own side of the waterway — an arrangement that would effectively sideline Washington. Trump responded to that prospect with a stark threat on Fox News, warning: 'If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the s--t out of them.' Oman is a longstanding US ally and a key back-channel in the region.
The Strait is bordered by Iran, Oman, and the United Arab Emirates. Any US unilateral takeover of the 167-km-long waterway would require agreement from all three — and would, according to analysts, run afoul of international law. Analysts also note that maintaining unilateral military control of the Strait would pose significant logistical challenges for the US Navy.
How the MoU Collapsed
The MoU, signed with considerable fanfare in June, gave both sides a 60-day window to allow normal shipping and hold parallel negotiations on Iran's nuclear programme — Trump's stated top priority. The arrangement unravelled when Iran attacked two ships last month, prompting the US to bomb Iranian targets and impose a port blockade. Since then, both sides have struck ships, while Iran has pounded targets across the Gulf, sharply escalating tensions.
The 60-day window expired on Monday with no extension agreed. Trump confirmed on Tuesday: 'There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled.' Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Spokesperson Brigadier General Hossein Mohebbi echoed that position, telling Tasnim that no talks were taking place.
Domestic Pressure and What Comes Next
Trump is also facing domestic pressure over rising energy prices attributed to the Hormuz crisis. The combination of a collapsed diplomatic framework, continued ship attacks, a threatened ally, and an unresolved nuclear standoff leaves the situation with few off-ramps. With neither side in talks and shipping still disrupted, the risk of a further military escalation in the Strait remains high.